Leaf loss on Cherry

TerryTibbs

I've been out today to look at 2 Cherry trees and a Crab Apple that have seriously damaged leaves (where there are any!) and this years leaves, after blossoming have died and dried up, still attached to the tree.

A few photo's attached....

Spotting on leaves.

20052012040.jpg

Dead leaves.

20052012038.jpg

Shot of the tree.

20052012036.jpg

Closer shot of dead leaves

20052012035.jpg

Any ideas?

Cheers, Chris

Edited by TerryTibbs
My inability to post pictures!

Thanks for the reply - symptoms look the same. The leaves on the Cherry were far below 'average' size for the species, fireblight taken hold early and stunted development?

in the garden there was one cherry that i've suggested removal, there was extensive die back on all limbs and cankering around the base unions of the branches.

On the other trees as far as i could tell there is no cankering. Is this a later stage of fireblight? The client says it's only been suffering the past couple of years, this one being the worst.

Yeah, the infections can expand beyond the current seasons growth and cause cankers. You may also be looking at Bacterial Canker of Cherry too, the leaves of the cherry look like they have been shot with a shotgun, which is tell-tale. Are there any oozy amber coloured blobs anywhere on the stems of the cherry? And is the ' leaf scorching' just on the Apple?

That helps alot!

The last images was of a copper bark cherry shows signs of the 'shot leaf'

As for the other two cherry trees i checked for any oozing and cankering on them!

The scorched leaves were on both the cherries, the crab apple next to them had some sort of (i assume) bacterial infection with dark spotting on the leaves.

Did the cherry tree flower this year ?

Did the blossoms wilt early and are they still attached. I am looking at this on my phone and i can not really tell.

If so then then the cherries have blossom wilt.

I think that cherries can not catch fireblight, so that rules that out.

Sent from my Galaxy arse using tupping talk.

I've been out today to look at 2 Cherry trees and a Crab Apple that have seriously damaged leaves (where there are any!) and this years leaves, after blossoming have died and dried up, still attached to the tree.

A few photo's attached....

Spotting on leaves.

20052012040.jpg

Dead leaves.

20052012038.jpg

Shot of the tree.

20052012036.jpg

Closer shot of dead leaves

20052012035.jpg

Any ideas?

Cheers, Chris

The cherry looks like prunus 'autumnalis' with shot blast.

Not a lot you can do except crown reduction.

The Crab Apple could be John standish not sure from picture.

take a look at the graft union and root plate,

it's been a wet year may be to much water.

how well drained is the ground.

not fire blight