Chickens?

NFG

Went to "a farm" yesterday where there 1.5 million chickens apparently. Never saw a single chicken but saw a lot of eggs, drove under an overhead gantry, looked up saw a moving line about a metre wide, and it was taking eggs, thousands of them, from the sheds to the packing plant, impressive in it's scale and design, but not where I would want my eggs to come from.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Update: wife's just been offered half a dozen laying quail. Any advice on these gratefully received.

Hello,

We know someone who keeps Quail, I shall ask them for any tips, but theres probably a web site if you Google it

N

Heinz 57 bantams. It is a mate who has been trying to get his numbers back under control but these girls know the score and go AWOL until they arrive back with a string of little ones following behind.

For the thread... we have only five old girls: 2 Rhode Island Reds, 2 Old English Pheasant Fowl (still laying) and a lovely little brown leghorn which occasionally pops one out.

Used to - miniatures rather than standard. Old English Game mainly, but several other breeds over the years. I had a peacock for a while, which I picked up in Hereford and drove it home in an MG convertible! The poor bugger died of liver and kidney failure at a young age, just after a random pea-hen turned up out of the blue to be his play mate.

Impulse shopping to the nth degree:

It was the kids' nursery outing to East Links fun farm near Dunbar (brilliant place, well worth a visit for anyone with little 'uns in south Scotland, none of that 'maximum age' nonsense). In the petting farm bit were lots of poultry. Now, not sure exactly how it happened (was busy in the dads pedal kart race), but wife left with 35 fewer pounds and 6 hens of indeterminate sex and breed and a turkey - all 3 weeks old and super, super cute.

They're now in their own aviary - which we had anyway, used to be a pheasant pen - and giving great pleasure. Breeds, we think, are 3 Appenzeller (White, dark and brown), 1 Poland and 2 question marks. And we can't tell yet between cocks and hens. Likewise with the turkey. Were told it'd be ready for Christmas but got a strong feeling he/she'll love to a ripe old age...