Various tree experiences

jwade

Just thought I'd do my first post in this forum, just various tree pictures I have acumulated over the years.

MG_0070.jpg

A nice group of poplar pollards, or poplards.

MG_0013.jpg

A closeup arty shot of said poplard.

a>

A beautiful old Yew in a local churchyard, Stanford Bishop - found using the tree register handbook.

MG_0159_2.jpg

A wonderfully shaped Prunus avium in the field outside my flat, this is one of many in the local area, probably a remnant of an old cherry orchard. There is another one in the field that has collapsed and had a brown rot.

MG_0242.jpg

Another nice old Yew, in the churchyard at Acton beauchamp, this one is almost an empty shell, showing very little green canopy left. Also listed in the Tree Register guide.

MG_0217.jpg

Same Yew, different angle.

MG_0063.jpg

A pheonix regen Horse Chestnut, off the beaten track at Croome.

MG_0051.jpg

The arb crew, checking out another large Horse Chestnut adjacent to the pheonix regen - Croome Park.

xf476lwsz

A nice picture of bleeding lesions on Oak, a documented case of AOD at the National Trust Brockhampton, Bromyard - which is just down the road from me...

MG_0160.jpg

Young climber on Castanea sativa at Goodnestone Park, Kent. A notable tree.

MG_0001.jpg

One for the fung hunters, a fungi that attacks both pyrus and juniperus (alternate hostings) the name escapes me? Appears at this time of the year on juniper, and then later on pear as a pear rust.

MG_0152.jpg

A chap named sean demo'ing some coronet cutting/natural fracture pruning - Neville Fay from TWEP came and did a talk also - quite informative.

i cant see anything j?

i can see 3 now:biggrin: Is that sean off of hear?

I have no idea if he is a member here, but his demomstration was good and his talk gave quite a good insight into managing veteran trees - teetering on the small branches and doing small reductions.. Probably have to be really nimble!

I've realised I've messed up the formatting - I'm quite new to this as you can tell.

The AOD picture is below:

MG_0225.jpg

Here's a few more...

MG_0190.jpg

Chinese poplar at Batsford - Populus szechuanica me thinks.

MG_0032.jpg

A closer inspection of the big Cedrus libani at Croome...

MG_0171.jpg

A closeup of the venerable Prunus, note the old treehouse that was built in it previously - it still blossoms and fruits profusely, and also has some bud proliferations within the canopy.

MG_0013.jpg

A Nice Arbutus unedo at the Rosebank gardens, Malvern.

MG_0329.jpg

Quercus suber at Spetchley, worcs.

Nice pics thanks for sharing really like the Poplar pollards for some reason.

Yeah so did I, I drove past them on my way to pendock and just had to pull over and photograph the grouping - I thought maybe they'd be our scarce native black poplar, but couldn't tell as of yet - maybe I'll go back and do a proper ident - we do have some nice old black poplars around the areas.. Also I think the midlands/worcestershire is a major stronghold for service tree.