Running vehicles on red diesel

Steve Bullman

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They will fall into agricultural exemptions. As will Agricultural tractors there are strict rules as to how far they can travel from the farm etc on red. Thats why a lot of the large agricultural contractors are getting into bother for running on red and exceeding their boundaries.

yep but its carrying a load !!!!

whats sauce for the goose is good for the gander

unimog is an ag vehicle too clasified as a tractor as it pulls pushes or powers

just a thought !

what about other ag vehicles then combines are run on red diesel but they have a built in manufacturer designed storage tank the same as a unimog can. a loads a load as far as the law stands

just a thought !

what about other ag vehicles then combines are run on red diesel but they have a built in manufacturer designed storage tank the same as a unimog can. a loads a load as far as the law stands

I hear what you are saying, but If you take the time to look into the Agricultural vehicle use regulations you will see thats all agricultural vehicles that are taxed as such should only run within a few km of thier own farm, (I think its 20k) They can carry loads with in that radius. Agricultural vehicles have many other exemptions to the construction and use regs to like they are not required to have working lights or indicators visiable during daylight hrs.

A combine is not designed to carry a load on the highway, the grain tank is just a means of storage while waiting for a tractor and trailer to return. They are that slow on the road no one in their right mind would use it to carry a load on the open road. Unless they only have a very small quantity on at the end of a long day.

Thats why as I said earlier the large Agri contractors around here are getting prosecuted for exceeding their distances travelled on red.

The fact is that most Mogs being run by tree surgeons that have nothing to do with agriculture or genuine full time forestry use should not be taxed as agricultural vehicles. They should either be taxed as mobile plant or in some cases HGV's.

I'm not saying I agree with all this legislation but them's the rules, and as some one said earlier a small outfit running a mog on red as a tractor will probably get away with it for years. A lot of people can prove that they can legally meet exemptions so thats fine, but you have to realise its a minefield and Agricultural vehicles cannot be used as a sound argument.

just a thought !

You in a stirring mood tonight Ian ? LMAO :drunk:

Well as i see it there is no limit on distance, the mog has a 3 point linkage, the wood chip is produced through the use of the machine. You are a contractor travelling between a base and a site.

You would however be in the do do if you were delivering logs etc.

Reading it again they seem to have done away with milage restrictions if your traveling between your own sites or as a contractor between two sites owned by your customer.

I personally wouldn't use that link as gospel info for a mog owning tree surgeon that has no link to forestry or agricultural use.

While the mog has 3pl and produces its load via the chipper it does not usually do this while in motoin. and the document clearly states HMRCE were not convinced tractors running things like grass dryers while stationary should run on red diesel.

At the end of the day its a minefield and we can sit here debating it for the next century but If I was a Mog owner for my own piece of mind I'd be in touch with my local VOSA office for their guidance. Because at the end of the day if they stop a mog and decide to prosecute its driver/operator. The defence of "jimmy jones the Tree Surgeon down the road runs on red as an agri tractor, so I thought I could" would not stand up in court.