Your worst fencing job

Rich2484

Yes its all about finding the machine which suits your location isn't it? do you fence fulltime or tye it in with other work? about 50% of my work is fencing. mainly agri and post and rail. very rarely do domestic/closeboard etc.

I used one of those parmiters once, it was a horrific experiance. it had a manual postclamp and manual mast adjustment. it took a few mins just to get the mast and post in the right place. It was rubbish (even worse then my digger) for strainers. I have a hydraulic auger to go on my digger if its hard ground or a big strainer I have to pilot drill the strainers with a 4inch auger. I drill all the holes then put the knocker on and they go in quite easily after that. not ideal though.

I loved my old parmiter the vibrating hands after a day holding posts lol it was great. I have a grass cutting/garden maintenance round that keeps 2 lads busy most of the year and i spend most of my time fencing mostly stock fencing and closeboarding. We do quite abit of post and rail doesnt seem to be much about at min. also do quite abit of turfing and paving in summer. Winter is mainly hedge and tree planting. keeps 3/4 of us busy all year. Iv come to conclusion that no matter how well you kit yourself up fencing there will always be a job come along where there would be a better way. lol never been beat yet with tractor come close once or twice tho

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

iv never used a wire roller. what are they like, i guess they best really for field fencing?. how do you attch the wire to the strainer once its pulled tight. do you staple it or tye it off? Those tclip gripples are brilliant for this, but they are quite costly- looks neat tho!

Ours is homemade its the middle out of a set of cambridge rollers on a frame with a 3 point linkage push it through the net and place it on the frame and drive it has no tensioner but without a doubt keeps nets tighter than rolling by hand we just put a set of gripples in when we run out put next net on and keep going can roll 100m net in 5mins. We s our nett of on strainers bit hard to explain but put a row of staples up your net on your first strainer, bend the spare wire back over the first staple put a second staple in over the wire thats bent back and the wire thats against the post the bend the wire back and cut makes a s shape its very strong and quick to do. il try get a pic. never used the t clips

• 1 month later...
got the p30 on the holder good bit of kit get's into the crappy places others would fear to tread , I will have to re pin the 3 point linkage on the holder it's very sloppy after 28 years .

Nice outfit there :thumbup: Your pics always remind me of the sketch.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3YiPC91QUk]Guards! Make sure the Prince doesn't leave this room ... - YouTube[/ame]

Worst ever fence was extending existing motorway post and rail to deer fence with four strands of plain wire. Five kilometres of parking on the side of the road and carrying everything up and down embankments.

Probably my worst fencing job wasn't actually the fencing itself, but cresoting it. I was 15 at the time, and it was a a complete stud-farm's worth of untreated post and rail. It took me all summer, suffering in the heat in a jacket or with creosote burns on my arms. It took me about 5 weeks altogether, and boy was I glad when it was finished.

However, 25 years on the fence is still in good health :)

Slight derail - I turned up on site once to check on a post & rail fence going in - a certain well known band of conservation volunteers was doing the job. The site had a gentle slope running uphill from where they had started the fence. They were being ultra-diligent and using a spirit level when fixing the rails. Four posts in they realised the problem :)

done some post and rail the other day on a big lawn on a smallholding, she didnt want any machines on the lawn so couldnt use a borer, went to start digging 4" down solid concrete, same for the next 10 holes, then the lady brings out an old ariel photo of the farm and we were on top of a big concrete pad that used to be the muck heap, but she did pay for jack hammer hire.

Probably my worst fencing job wasn't actually the fencing itself, but cresoting it. I was 15 at the time, and it was a a complete stud-farm's worth of untreated post and rail. It took me all summer, suffering in the heat in a jacket or with creosote burns on my arms. It took me about 5 weeks altogether, and boy was I glad when it was finished.

However, 25 years on the fence is still in good health :)

Slight derail - I turned up on site once to check on a post & rail fence going in - a certain well known band of conservation volunteers was doing the job. The site had a gentle slope running uphill from where they had started the fence. They were being ultra-diligent and using a spirit level when fixing the rails. Four posts in they realised the problem :)

:lol::lol::lol:

Must admit I had to read that bit twice to understand it. The other half gives me funny looks when I just burst out laughing sometime. I've learnt to swallow my tea before reading posts on this site.