Your worst fencing job

Rich2484

Put up 200 yards of post and rail today.

Got me thinking about past fencing jobs and what was the worst type of fence to put up. I'm not talking about how hard it was, like going up a hill or on wet land but the type itself.

Think the worst I done was stock fencing with rabbit netting, nice and easy to dig the trench as used a plough to dig an open furrow the fence went over it and back filled with digger.

Was just a nightmare with the netting, gloves getting caught in all the time, hands constantly cut and hurting.

What everyone else's? For thos who put fences up.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put up 200 yards of post and rail today.

Got me thinking about past fencing jobs and what was the worst type of fence to put up. I'm not talking about how hard it was, like going up a hill or on wet land but the type itself.

Think the worst I done was stock fencing with rabbit netting, nice and easy to dig the trench as used a plough to dig an open furrow the fence went over it and back filled with digger.

Was just a nightmare with the netting, gloves getting caught in all the time, hands constantly cut and hurting.

What everyone else's? For thos who put fences up.[/QUOT

Cheap panel fencing hate it. My worst nightmare easy to put up just dont get the same satisfaction as a nice close board fence that will last years

Rabbit netting round woodlands when trench is full of roots

Any fencing over a proper landed grass

Oh yeah forgot about tree roots, spent plenty of time replacing parts on th plough after hitting them.

Lastt one we did was about 900m of roots ended up digging trench with digger was good fun though.

I think all fencing is reasonably straight forwar in theory its usualy ground conditions that cause the problems. We have just stock fenced round a river about 600m on low very wet stuff. we put tractor in once and by time we had been round it the wheelings were full of water amd very soft i wouldnt have driven through them again. So we rolled all nets and barb by hand which added time. Best bit was the bit we had ridden over 3 hours eearlier turned into a water bed i jumped on it and the ground wobbled 4 metres away. never seen stuf like that before. I pierced the surface with a spade and water shot out lol

Barb wire has to be the worst surely- I hate the stuff, you have to wear gloves yet the gloves tear to shreds and get caught on the barbs which is a regular pain when you are tying it off at a strainer. I like post and rail the best. I also hate tensioning stock netting when there is loads of ups and downs and corners as it can take ages (even with clamps) to make sure all the wires are equal tension (cheap netting is even worse)

Barb wire has to be the worst surely- I hate the stuff, you have to wear gloves yet the gloves tear to shreds and get caught on the barbs which is a regular pain when you are tying it off at a strainer. I like post and rail the best. I also hate tensioning stock netting when there is loads of ups and downs and corners as it can take ages (even with clamps) to make sure all the wires are equal tension (cheap netting is even worse)

yea barb is awful stuff. How do you tension barb and netts? we use gripples iv tried lots of ways but find gripples the best we use 100m nets so there arnt as many joins keeping the cost of them down. We roll nets out right round the field then stat at first gripple point tension it then move on to next by time your right round nets tight. We have a wire roller on tractor makes rolling nets a breeze. we usualy pull barb of the post knocker or front loader. What are the clamp systems like for tensioning barb?

I use the haynes wire strainers with 1.5meters of chain for tensioning barb and a netting clamp and haynes clamp strainers with 6meters of chain for the netting, if its a flat run i tye the netting of at one end and tension of at the other end, sometimes if its undulating i tye the netting at both ends and use two clamps in the middle of the run and join the netting using gripples or haynes crimps. I find gripples can't get the netting as tight just on their own without using the clamps to get the tension first, I can strain 400m at one go with the clamps. what post knocker do you use?

I use the same as you drs mainly ,but dont use gripples 50% wont hold the strain , the only ones we use are T connector's much faster . I using a protech on the boxer ,but just got the p30c for the holder , will speed thing's up on the straight's