Windblown trees

Just started doing some work on an estate and have had to deal with some windblown trees with the root plate still attached. I haven't dealt with this type of tree before (don't laugh!!). Anyway managed to deal with two 18 - 20" dbh size beech today, they were both over at about a 45 degree angle and I could tell that once I'd cut through the stem the root plate would sit back up. So I did a gob cut on the bottom side, then bored in to give me my hinge and then finished the cut through the top whilst anticipating the root plate and remaining stem to sit back up. I was amazed at how fast it shot back up. Anyway did I do the right (safest) thing?? Any input welcome.

Also, I've got another to do tomorrow about 24" dbh but this one the main stem is on the ground so I can't really get in to do a gob cut as I did with the other trees. Also the root plate is a lot larger and it also looks as though it will sit back. What do you think would be the best method.

Cheers guys/girls, be kind :thumbup1:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very hard to advise without seeing it as each tree/situation is different.

Is the compression side the underside Is the tree hungup on anything which will change the compression side from the top to the upperside.

Windblown should be tackled with great care because they can be so unpredictable and cause serious injury or death.

If you dont have your windblown NPtC ticket then you shouldnt be taking on this work.

If you do have it then you should have a good background knowledge of this situation.

Just go carefully and plan your escape routs!!

Good luck

I know what you are saying. The majority of the work is clearing up large branches and medium trees that have been blown over and are easy to do however there are a few of these that have the root plates still attached. The two I did today I was confident on taking on and I took my time and was expecting the plate to sit back up. The other one that I need to do tomorrow looks a bit dodgy so I might leave it. I don't have my windblown ticket but know I need to get it.

I'm just conscious that I've only just started on this estate, the manager knows my experience but I don't want to start turning down work. However, it's better not earning money than getting seriously injured.

What do they teach on the wind blown course? I've been dealing with them one way or another since I was about 16-17 with no training of any kind I the early days and feel they're just something you learn to handle with common sense and experience as no two are the same how can class room stuff help?

Just tread carefully mate, if you get stuck on anything the estate manager will respect your hinesty rather than having a dead tree surgeon on his hands

Cheers mate, don't worry I'm not going to attempt anything that I don't feel 100% confident in :thumbup1: