ms261 needle bearing/play in drive sprocket, common problem??

jnoon

My ms261 has been amazing so far, (7months old now)

Ive had to put a new plug in it,

now ive just had it on the bench took chain brake assembly off and there seems to be play in the sprocket, so i whipped the bar and chain off, took circlip & drive sprocket out, removed the clutch drum to find a plastic bearing, :confused1: the bearing had wear on one end and the bearings arnt rotating, im guessing i need a new bearing??

really didnt expect to find a plastic bearing,:thumbdown:

apart from this and the plug its been a cracking saw and has taking a beasting :thumbup1:

any help would be much appreciated.!! thanks

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There appears to be a design fault with this saw in this area, refer it back to your agent - I think one fix is to fit a spur sprocket but other owners who have been through this issue will know more.

ok thanks guys, i got the saw from jonsie so will speak to him in the morning.

do you tune saws spud? i would like both my saws tuned by a pro:001_cool:!!

if so could you please pm me details costs, postage etc, thanks

now ive just had it on the bench took chain brake assembly off and there seems to be play in the sprocket, so i whipped the bar and chain off, took circlip & drive sprocket out, removed the clutch drum to find a plastic bearing, :confused1: the bearing had wear on one end and the bearings arnt rotating, im guessing i need a new bearing??

apart from this and the plug its been a cracking saw and has taking a beasting :thumbup1:

any help would be much appreciated.!! thanks[/quote

exactly what i was tryin to say the other day, my work mate has gone through 4 sets of bearings in 8 months,, and his saw isnt used more than 2 hours a day if that.

also the clutch springs are prity kack and break easy,, if ur saw starts cutting out when you apply the chainbreak you need to replace a clutch spring,, yet again a common fault.

as for spud, he is like the godfather of tuning saws, alot of people on here will recomend him including me,, not only that he is a sound guy that is willing to help

Edited by WoodED

i hate to say i told you soo

minor detail mate, like i said just wanted to see if other people have had the same problem?:confused1:

never ever said stihls were perfect, just my personal choice,:001_tt2: they all go wrong but its how easy they are to fix that matters, and stihl win on that front!!!!:thumbup1:

any help would be much appreciated.!! thanks

another coarse of the worn bearing is it hasnt been greased,,, they need to be done weekly if your beasting it, that means wipping of the clutch drum and physicaly putting grease on it, witch can be a ball ache,

i have a 361 with the back handled break and have to do the same as the bearings get very hot when the back break is applyed regularly,

minor detail mate, like i said just wanted to see if other people have had the same problem?:confused1:

never ever said stihls were perfect, just my personal choice,:001_tt2: they all go wrong but its how easy they are to fix that matters, and stihl win on that front!!!!:thumbup1:

appologies i ment to delete that part,, just ignor it