Oak dismantled in Minnesota.

Taylor L. Hamel

Dismantling a dead Red oak on White Bear Lake, MN.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5-7GveA2fo]Red Oak Dismantle, Minnesota - YouTube[/ame]

My friend Tyler's first time on the GRCS. He did well, I reckon. A low limb was lifted with the GRCS, but I forgot to film it. Pretty straight forward dismantle; the tree had an excurrent growth form, so not much climbing on my part... and plenty of room to drop the stem.

Thanks for watching!

Surely it was a running bowline. :confused1:

not at the block it wasn't, look again. What I'd call a marlinspike slipknot is tied to stop the working end of his rigging rope running through the block accidently or while he was making his notch/moving the block sling etc.

It can only be tied in one direction otherwise it can slip out and down goes your rigging line.

Nice work Taylor, just one question did you decide to rig it so you could get it down quicker, training for your friend or other reasons? Just curious as i may have been tempted to drop out most of it but i couldn't see if there were many objects below.

Ian

Hello Taylor.

Enjoyed the vid. :thumbup1:

The trunk appears to show a fair amount of what looks like brown heart wood decay when it smashes on the ground.

Any idea which fungi was colonising the tree?

thanks

David

Thanks. The canopy branches showed what I believe is white rot. Not sure about the stem and I don't know which fungi. Would be interesting to know!

Nice work Taylor, just one question did you decide to rig it so you could get it down quicker, training for your friend or other reasons? Just curious as i may have been tempted to drop out most of it but i couldn't see if there were many objects below.

Ian

Hi Ian,

The stone walls were a bit fragile and the asphalt drive is fairly new, so I didn't

want to risk spearing anything in. Also a water valve and sprinkler system in the landscaping.

Cheers