Sealing End Grain

nantmoel

Depends. If I really want to be sure not to lose anything off the end then I stick some old gloss paint on. Otherwise, I usually don't bother. I've used bituminous paint too in the past - anything that will stick and slow down the rate of moisture loss will do the trick but I don't want something that might melt again afterwards as it's liable to smear and mark the boards, or to soak in which means you're sacrificing the end anyway to get rid of it and you might as well not bother to paint it then.

Alec

I don't bother. Used to use ova from time to time but found it didn't make much difference. Best thing to do is just make sure that the timber is well stacked (with a sticker right on each end) out of any direct sunlight and somewhere fairly cool and ideally even a little damp, though with good air flow. Earthen floor barns are great, as are woodlands, funnily enough!

Jonathan

As above PVA works well - it's cheap, non toxic and easy to paint on .. I do think it makes a difference although as Big J says it's further down the importance list than the other things he's mentioned.