Ransom

Mycoman

A large building company is developing a brownfield site across the river from a piece of my land. I got a letter from the electricity grid company saying that they wished, on behalf of a client, to attach 2 stays to a power line pole in my field and they offered me £82.50 for this. I spoke to someone from the electricity company, who admitted their client was the developer and that they wanted the power line moved to accommodate more houses. I said I was not inclined to accept their offer, they said I could negotiate with the developer directly.

So, where should I start? This isn't a children's hospital, it's a developer wanting to shoehorn in more houses. To what, if any, degree do I have a ransom here? What margin do big developers make from homes? Anyone had a similar situation?

Not sure what the 2 stays for a power line would be worth. If you ask too much they'll sort another way out. But some things are good for ransom. A bloke we work for near me made an absolute fortune. A few years back he got PP on some land to build 8 houses. He sold the land to a developer who did it all, but he also retained a small strip of land across the frontage. The developer then got PP for a few more houses adjoining the ones he'd already built, but the only way to put another access road in was by purchasing the small strip that the landowner had retained - he made a mint on it!

Also, the developer tried to offer another customer of ours, who adjoins the development, £10k for half her back garden. We told her that the developer was taking the mick, she sought advice, and ended up with almost £300k!

A large building company is developing a brownfield site across the river from a piece of my land. I got a letter from the electricity grid company saying that they wished, on behalf of a client, to attach 2 stays to a power line pole in my field and they offered me £82.50 for this. I spoke to someone from the electricity company, who admitted their client was the developer and that they wanted the power line moved to accommodate more houses. I said I was not inclined to accept their offer, they said I could negotiate with the developer directly.

So, where should I start? This isn't a children's hospital, it's a developer wanting to shoehorn in more houses. To what, if any, degree do I have a ransom here? What margin do big developers make from homes? Anyone had a similar situation?

Go and see a solicitor and get him to condition that on top of your setlement they pay your fees, £82.50 ,is a joke, get your solicitor to do the negotiations. Developers will try it on every time:thumbdown: also get him to check out your boundery lines. You may also find you have a ransom strip!! which could be worth lots of money. Good luck.

Go and see a solicitor and get him to condition that on top of your setlement they pay your fees, £82.50 ,is a joke, get your solicitor to do the negotiations. Developers will try it on every time:thumbdown: also get him to check out your boundery lines. You may also find you have a ransom strip!! which could be worth lots of money. Good luck.

Forgot to say my old man has made a living buying bits of land which on there own are worth nothing but when the time comes are worth a lot as ransom stips, hes just in the process of selling a 12" curb line for access to a large development , we are thinking it will be 50 to 100k, its a large site and only one way in:thumbup: he's also done the line thing only it was to have a pole moved, i can't remember the amount but it was a lot, another thing don't rush it, take your time. let the offers come forward.

Without knowing all the facts,you need to hold out,,their offer is not realistic of what is the cost to them if they have to seek an alternative,or not get the extra housing.

Check out your boundries with the deeds,these things can prove lucrative at times,good luck.:001_smile: