what do you do if you cant climb?

Dilz

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a mate of mines answer when talking to a insurance company who were suggesting he upped his insurance: what if you have fall and end up in a wheelchair, his reply thats easy I'll wheel myself into the nearest river no need for any insurance then. it didnt go down well but did shut them up.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Make sure you have a plan though Adam, either get your own buisness up and running with a view to have someone else do the climbing or get educating yourself so your ready for the switch to consultant/tree officer etc.

I love the job but when you have kids and a mortgage to pay your choices later in life are very few. The jobs I have seen that I might enjoy mean I will have to start from scratch and take at least a £7000 pay cut, minimum........

Definity i want to learn & gain as much quals as i can also there might be a part time job going for an assistant tree sureyor which would be great for experience, then start a part time business to fill my week, im very lucky though i already have a 22month old little girl hence why im up at 2:45am lol & our own house with no rent/mortage everything happens for a reason & usually falls into place :)

Depends on the abuse!! When I started I was told you have ten years or until your 30, whichever is the sooner. But things have changed a lot since then, and climbing is easier.

I think working full time for a company where time limits everything will wear anyone out pretty quickly though. I dont climb to strict time shedules anymore because its not worth it, but having said that I am quick enough to get things done on time due to good planning and efficiency rather than strength/energy.

at the end of May i celebrate 10years of tree bashing, in august im 30......(though includes a couple of years on the ground)

i agree techniques begins to out place brute force

one problem i have is that as youth a wasted a lot of time, and it was tree work that sorted me out, and as such, trees is what i know and do. Ive never been to uni, though it was kind of on the cards until they trebbled the prices (i had saved enough to cover my fees and such for a 3 year course and now it wont cover 1) and this has its problems as there are no guarantees youll get a job after a degree, and that is added to by being older and in some eyes over experienced and over qualified for post graduate entry level jobs, the other problem is - the course i really want to study is Forestry, ecology and conservation, which i know i would excel but also know that the job area is rather limited,

I find that careers advice is not very helpful with the issue of retraining when older. especially when its hard to know exactly what to go in for. Also being self employed and such the idea of going back to work for some one else doesnt appeal so much. They say once you work for yourself you cant work for anybody else.

Ive kind of had in my mind that im not going to climb forever...and i think i need to act now to make an easier transition, looking at open University, short trade skill courses, etc, i dont think i will ever be completely away from tree work but maybe develop it as more a side line with the surveying etc, whilst setting up another business in another less physically demanding / damaging environment, but its hard because being a tree climber is either the worst job in the world or its the best thing to be doing EVER! and its the good days i find out weigh the bad ones by a lot!