OP vs Tec Beeline vs Silverstreak?

pault

Hi all, been having a bit of trouble with my hitchclimber with OP eye to eye 8mm cord on 13mm XTC rope.

Just wondering if either the Beeline or Silverstreak are slightly softer cords hence will grip better. The OP cord seems like wire compared to others people are talking about.

Cheers in advance.:thumbup:

Never had trouble with my OP gripping on xtc, was using 10mm though, not 8. If anything, mine gripped too much. Try different hitch combos and fiddle with it, and give it time to bed in. :thumbup1:

Using 8mm beeline VT on yale blue tongue and it's just right, tends easily and grips every time.

Edited by Neil Frost

Hi all, been having a bit of trouble with my hitchclimber with OP eye to eye 8mm cord on 13mm XTC rope.

Just wondering if either the Beeline or Silverstreak are slightly softer cords hence will grip better. The OP cord seems like wire compared to others people are talking about.

Cheers in advance.:thumbup:

Horses for courses, generally thinner diameter cords grab better yet can get hotter and over-tighten.

I actually have gone off OP a bit since they changed it, it's more supple now and doesn't seem to last as long, I preferred it when it was firmer and more wire like.

I find armour prus and beeline just to soft and grabby.

I use 10mm o.p on 12mm line it's the best I can find for how I like my knot, if anyone else knows of a stiff long lasting 10mm line let me know, I,ll generally get 3 weeks from a cord.

All I can suggest to you Paul is keep experimenting as no one here can tell you what's best.

Both very valid points, The main problem i have is when i am ascending. I have an O rig between my bridge and the HC so i can pull and go. But the OP isnt gripping half the time and end up having to pull the HC back to me and dress it again. When i pull on the tail to ascend, the VT obviously comes into contact with the HC. But then when i release it it stays where it is (like wire). Am i just being a plank or is there anything i can do? Iv tried different combos of 4 wraps 2 braids etc. I love the simplicity of the HC but it just aint working for me.:confused1:

If its not setting itself when you ascend then it will be to do with your not generally I find that trying as many different amounts of wraps and braids. I tend to tie mine so it is leaning more towards not setting itself for two reasons: 1. It's good practice to set the knot everytime and this becomes second nature after enough use. 2. If it is tied so it is like that it's a much more sensitive faster (sporty) knot:D hope this is of some help.

Oh yeah the other thing is gettin armor prus!!! It's the best:)

could it be that with using an o rig you are putting your weight slowly on to the hitch so that your full weight isn't setting it quickly??

i've had it where my hitch wont grab straight away when using a pantin to ascend because i was leaning in to the pantin a little bit and keeping the hitch slightly open

Horses for courses, generally thinner diameter cords grab better yet can get hotter and over-tighten.

I actually have gone off OP a bit since they changed it, it's more supple now and doesn't seem to last as long, I preferred it when it was firmer and more wire like.

I find armour prus and beeline just to soft and grabby.

I use 10mm o.p on 12mm line it's the best I can find for how I like my knot, if anyone else knows of a stiff long lasting 10mm line let me know, I,ll generally get 3 weeks from a cord.

All I can suggest to you Paul is keep experimenting as no one here can tell you what's best.

3 weeks from a cord? I climb as much as anyone here, all day everyday and had an armor prus last 1 year!

3 weeks from a cord? I climb as much as anyone here, all day everyday and had an armor prus last 1 year!

Armor prus is good cord, I got a couple of months out of it, but it just binds to tight for me and lays to flat i like somethng chunky to grab:sneaky2: I actually forgot they now do it in 10mm reckon I,m going to have to give that a go now I,m down to my last 2 hitches. I also have 2 ropes with there own hitches which I cycle between depending on my mood.

Paul maybe it's not grabbing because it's not bedded in properly like has already been said. Usually I tie the cord then the wraps kinda bed in and get a memory usually takes one good climb then I usually have to retie the fishermans to as they will creep.

The o rig is a neat trick but climb without it to bed the cord in, this way you can make sure it is grabbing reliably.

I think I sometimes grab my cord to make sure it bites, it's just one of those things I do instinctively in some situation without thinking about it.

Beeline 10mm works very well, but i also go threw heaps. works mint new and then after few weeks starts to creep. but i just tuck a new one on, proper cheap. i found OP is very good too but after a few weeks starts to tighten as to creep, which is probs better way but way more pricy too.

MOG