am i to old

brookie

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely go for it, I went to Capel Manor and did the year long National Cert. at 34. Am now 41 and working as a subby climber, just bought my own van and chipper with a view to building up my own business. Climb every day and love the job and can still put the twenty somethings to shame!!:001_tongue:. Yes I get the usual aches, pains and repetitive strain injuries, but wouldn't trade them in for life in an office any day. But it will take a few years to be experienced enough to earn good money. Hope it works out for you.

Go for it mate. I'm 45 and loving the basic groundwork. Climbing next on the agenda.

Change of career for me getting out the forces. Met loads of great guys who have offered up lots of sound, positive advice and encouragement. Not one up here has been negative about what I want to achieve.

Sure, the money at this stage isn't great, and maybe it won't get any better, but its just enough and the sheer enjoyment of the job means I go home to my wife with a huge grin on my face...... and a heap of sodden clothes to dry out for the next morning.

All the best for the future.

evening all was after some advise am seriously considering a change of career am 35 is this to old to get into the industry

f NO if you want fun in your life do it, if you are looking to get rich don't do it.:thumbup1: its all about how you want to live your life and when you look back as a really old man not to have any regrets, if you can do that you will die a happy man.:thumbup1:

f NO if you want fun in your life do it, if you are looking to get rich don't do it.:thumbup1: its all about how you want to live your life and when you look back as a really old man not to have any regrets, if you can do that you will die a happy man.:thumbup1:

Well put KJ.

I've been pretty negative of late (mainly aimed at people who want to set up on their own before they know their ash from their elbow), but a decent 2-gum dismantle today reminded me why I love the job so much.

At one point we had brews coming at us from 3 different gardens!

How many times has that happened to Alan Sugar?

:thumbup:

The honest answer is that you are on the edge age wise to be taken on by a firm as a comercially viable and competant climber.

taking tickets such as 38 and 39 would make you more employable but I would concentrate on ground work orientated tickets to get the edge in the employment market - which is awash with people with the usual 30-31-38-38 etc.

Once in with a firm you could then build your climbing ability on small jobs.