Free Postage

sethgill

Postage to the highlands will allways be expensive. I've not found many company's that will offer free P&P up to me, so generally I try to order lots of stuff in one go to offset the cost of postage a little.

And to be honest, when you think i would have to spend £25 on petrol to get any kind of major shopping destination, the postage isn't that bad really.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems many people replying to this have missed the point slightly.

I still think postage in general is cheap - I can get a letter 400 miles in 24 hours for 50 odd pence...

I sent some fishing rods the other day (obviously oversized parcel) for about £20... 200 and something miles - I don't think my Ranger would of delivered them and back for £20 worth of diesel.

I also back all those who say retailers have a tough time making things fair

But really the point he was trying to put across is the retailers attitude stinks - If everytime I got asked to match or beat a quote I said - ''when the price of petrol, time and chainsaws go down I might think about it'' how far would I get?

I say no - often - but its how you say it

Rob there is a fantastic company called Chains Direct you might have heard of them, we use them all the time next day service and free delivery.. to wait for it ..the Highlands, They must have contended on, that Royal mail don’t charge any extra if you live anywhere in the UK. The couriers who charge 3x as much to deliver use Royal Mail and subcontract it. 40% of royal mails letters are from other company’s. So i'm sorry I don’t buy the I must know that by now coment that I live in the highlands

• 6 months later...
Rob there is a fantastic company called Chains Direct you might have heard of them, we use them all the time next day service and free delivery.. to wait for it ..the Highlands, They must have contended on, that Royal mail don’t charge any extra if you live anywhere in the UK. The couriers who charge 3x as much to deliver use Royal Mail and subcontract it. 40% of royal mails letters are from other company’s. So i'm sorry I don’t buy the I must know that by now coment that I live in the highlands

You're looking at it like it's a black and white thing - it depends on what you're sending.

Under 1kg - Royal Mail £4.30-00 courier £16-00

Over 4kg signed for - Royal Mail £9-75 courier £16-00

Over 10 kg signed for - Royal Mail £19-75 courier £16-00

So not as clear cut as you're making out.

Chainsdirect work on large turnover and small margins which I would expect gives them lower postage rates - to this effect are I would say their business strategy is successful as I could not match their prices and stay solvent.

Only just decided to dignify this with a response Rob? :001_huh::lol:

I never get excited over postage costs, it's still cheaper than collecting it myself.... I appreciate the vendor making the effort to dispatch something, I hate doing it!

Anyway, postage to the Highlands will be even MORE EXPENSIVE when it's outside not just civilisation, but the whole EU....!!!! :001_tt2::lol::lol:

You're looking at it like it's a black and white thing - it depends on what you're sending.

Chainsdirect work on large turnover and small margins which I would expect gives them lower postage rates - to this effect are I would say their business strategy is successful as I could not match their prices and stay solvent.

Our couriers doubled their prices over night so we binned them over night. We send up to 10 kg next day for about £9 in vat then 50p per kilo extra. We only send royal mail under a kilo and I think they have 2 weeks to deliver it ( plenty of time to loose it )

But Royal Mail goes everywhere every day, couriers turn up here eventually.

For me choice is the best option to offer a customer, a choice of service versus cost.

But Royal Mail goes everywhere every day, couriers turn up here eventually.

For me choice is the best option to offer a customer, a choice of service versus cost.

Royal Mail is not an option for 99% of our Internet orders and is not an acceptable delivery option within the strict criteria we aim to offer our mail order clients. Unless you pay for Special Delivery, which is around the same cost as a courier (sometimes more) without the backend facilities, there is no insurance, no tracking, and if it goes missing, it's a joke.

Royal Mail Special Delivery will cost you £9.75 up to 2kg. For 10kg, the maximum weight possible, will set you back £24.50. Bearing in mind a pair of boots are around 4kg.

We ship up to 40kg for £8.05 to residential addresses and less than £7 to commercial addresses. Consider next day guaranteed, fully insured, emails with tracking info etc....

There are serious limitations with Royal Mail regarding size and weight before it then has to go by Parcelforce, and then your in the hands of another 'courier'.

Internet pricing and FREE Shipping to 99% of the UK Mainland on orders over £75 is about as good as it can get I'm afraid.

Like I say, Royal Mail is not an option unless your posting a letter.

Edited by Honey Bros