Estate worker

Bald Monkey

I hope this hasn't been covered in other threads, if so I apologise. My wife and I are moving to the west coast of scotland in a couple of weeks and I have initially got some work lined up on an estate. My main duties to start with will be clearing windblown trees and cutting for fire wood, thinning their policy woodland, helping out with livestock, maintaining the track to the estate and any other jobs the estate manager needs a hand with. Money hasn't been discussed (some might say this is madness!!) but just glad I've got some work lined up. I will be self employed and using my own saws, fuel etc and was just wondering what peoples opinion of a day rate for this type of work?

Previously working in the midlands I was earning up to £80 a day on average just grounding and not using my own tools, I've got about 3 yrs experience. I'm thinking I should be aiming for at least the £80 - £100 a day figure taking into account I'm using my own tools and work in the winter may not be as frequent.

If anyone has any opinions or advice I love to hear them.

Cheers :thumbup:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with Mark and Felix

Just beware of the obvious - the chap in question may be clueless to pricing in this industry and expect you to turn up for £50 a day, if you dont know peoples attitude and expectations it is difficult.

No matter how you look at it though securing a bit of work prior to moving is excellent. Good luck!

Felix is about spot on. However if you haven't done the other work before they might not want to pay you as much (right or wrong), just warning you!

Cheers for the replies so far, I was thinking the £100 mark was the sensible figure, It gives me a good starting point for negotiating.

Sam, I have done a lot of the other work before. Last year I had a years contract working at a nature reserve and this involved looking after sheep/cattle, repairing paths, building bird hides, fencing etc etc!!

Cheers for the replies so far, I was thinking the £100 mark was the sensible figure, It gives me a good starting point for negotiating.

Sam, I have done a lot of the other work before. Last year I had a years contract working at a nature reserve and this involved looking after sheep/cattle, repairing paths, building bird hides, fencing etc etc!!

£100 a day then, plus mileage! :thumbup: Good luck fella, where you moving too?

If you go day rate then be careful with what hours the manager expects you to work for a typical day, might be 8-4 or may be 7-5, quite a bit of difference. We go for £100.00 a day(£12.50 ph) just man or £120 a day (£15 ph) for man, saw, fuel, trailer etc. And typically work 8hr day, but will work longer or start ealier if needed. Think its important for know what the hour rate is roughly, so if you need to go else where one afternon etc, the manager knows what will be charge for the hrs worked in the morning, etc.