Newbies and start-ups

Tom10

Yep, I agree, but I dont believe Arb is the industry for anyone who would take the dole as the next best thing. So getting people into this industry instead of the dole is setting the standard way too low IMO.

Dole/maccie D's/poundland/tesco/ etc etc etc and further up the list for the more inteligent/articulate/motivated and fit people would be tree work.

Your actually devaluing the industry by suggesting we should be encouraging school leavers who would otherwise be on the dole, those people need help with work for sure, but arb does not have the support facilities for people who need a helping hand, thats just how it is, and arbtalk cannot make up for that.

I admire your enthusiasm to help though.

I dont suggest that for a second - My point is only that youngsters need a chance to prove themselves no matter what background they are from, in fact this is nothing to do with my point. I just simply think we should be very much encouraging these guys and guiding them to ensure they follow the right avenues into this industry, if they so wish to work in it.

These people are asking questions to ensure they have the knowledge to progress. Its better than buying a truck, bow saw and a ladder and calling themselves tree surgeons. Once you offer a youngster the right advice it is then down to what sort of person they are as to whether they succeed, and the vast majority will fail (but this is surely the case in every other industry, before they find their forte? i dont know many people that have only ever had 1 job)

Also your food chain type list isnt exactly true. Because someone is on the dole or works sweeping maccie d's floors doesnt mean they cant be good arborists, or electricians, or mechanics - perhaps they havent had the right opportunity, which is what we should be promoting.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to pedroski

Agreed, I didnt make the original arb/dole example. I actaully said that its just as likely someone might go and be a success at another trade rather than go on the dole, even though it is just as difficult in other trades.

Arb is weird because the money you can potentially spend on training and kit is so huge that we are going to end up with newbies who are funded by the bank of mumanddad (thats already happening) and they could be just as useless!.

MY advice to newbies has always been "get a job" either landscaping or tree work or similar and get training slowly as yo go along. If you cant get a job in a physical outdoor trade of some kind then no amount of CS30's and PPE is going to help.

I agree with the way you have written this entirely though - too many people with all the gear but no clue what to do with it. The best guys often started with a wheelbarrow and a blunt silky :001_rolleyes:

I agree pretty much with everything Rupe has said. I have not seen these threads that simply just say don't do it but I have seen many threads with a whole bunch of hard truth. These may seem like a put off to some but nobody likes the truth do they? Anyone starting in this industry is going to have a real sweaty bumpy road ahead of them and if they are determined, honest and hard working then the chances are they will make it. As Rupe said, if you get put off by some comments on a forum then it wasn't for you in the first place.

I will say one thing though, if anyone is thinking of freelancing on my patch then you won't make it and should give up now :001_tt2:

I dont suggest that for a second - My point is only that youngsters need a chance to prove themselves no matter what background they are from, in fact this is nothing to do with my point. I just simply think we should be very much encouraging these guys and guiding them to ensure they follow the right avenues into this industry, if they so wish to work in it.

These people are asking questions to ensure they have the knowledge to progress. Its better than buying a truck, bow saw and a ladder and calling themselves tree surgeons. Once you offer a youngster the right advice it is then down to what sort of person they are as to whether they succeed, and the vast majority will fail (but this is surely the case in every other industry, before they find their forte? i dont know many people that have only ever had 1 job)

Also your food chain type list isnt exactly true. Because someone is on the dole or works sweeping maccie d's floors doesnt mean they cant be good arborists, or electricians, or mechanics - perhaps they havent had the right opportunity, which is what we should be promoting.

Ok, I might have misread you, or gone a bit off track with that post then.

getting a job was i think the big key in the way i look at my job the way i do. you start at the bottom and if you want to increase your wage then you put in your work fair and square and you slowly work your way up and get given better jobs and learn. the more you see the more you learn and the more you learn the more of a decent understanding you get of the skill that some jobs actually do require. if i didnt work around other people and was on my own i would rapidly plumet and be lost. that being said if i went and wacked out all my cs' in one go yes i probably would pass and think i was good but id know a little about too much and again probably rapidly plumet. its a long learning curve and i will ultimately in years of doing be able to educate others when questions asked. until then i will take anything that anyone that has a higher understanding than me on board. good or bad whatever its all advice at the end of the day and if your strong enough minded you'll just push on to prove yourself

getting a job was i think the big key in the way i look at my job the way i do. you start at the bottom and if you want to increase your wage then you put in your work fair and square and you slowly work your way up and get given better jobs and learn. the more you see the more you learn and the more you learn the more of a decent understanding you get of the skill that some jobs actually do require. if i didnt work around other people and was on my own i would rapidly plumet and be lost. that being said if i went and wacked out all my cs' in one go yes i probably would pass and think i was good but id know a little about too much and again probably rapidly plumet. its a long learning curve and i will ultimately in years of doing be able to educate others when questions asked. until then i will take anything that anyone that has a higher understanding than me on board. good or bad whatever its all advice at the end of the day and if your strong enough minded you'll just push on to prove yourself

I think you have a good grasp. You and tom10 can set up the support network for newbies and I'll keep out of it!

:congrats:

Someone give that guy a sweetie and maybe even a job. That's the kind of attitude that will get you where you want to go in one piece!