Newbies and start-ups

Tom10

Wise words.

More people chasing the same amount of work drives prices and standards down.

It's tough out there at the mo for established companies who know what they're doing.

Lads still living at home doing jobs for beer money are damaging the industry.[/QUOTE]

I do agree with most of what has been said so far in this thread.

I think the lads doing it for a bit of beer money is often not as black and white as it seems as often these people would go and work for an established company but the opportunity just isn't there. But they still need to earn money, they've forked out for all the kit but don't have the van/chipper/experience etc that allow them to charge what a proper established arborist would, so they work for less initially just to get some actual work ... don't forget these people don't have the client base so number of potential jobs are less.

I agree with what you saying about it devaluing the industry though but if they are determined to make it in the arb world and they can't get regular work to afford/get the experience to go on their own properly then they really don't have much choice.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, newbies of whatever trade, are too much in a rush to set up their own companies and chase big money instead of gaining experience of all types by working for several companies before going on their own. And for me this is a big downfall. I see it a lot in the joinery trade, young lads on price come in, bish bash bosh, then it all falls down and then old timer here thinks' here we go again', likewise, you ring agency up requesting roofing joiners, ask them to set out a traditional roof and they look at you gone out. Proper apprenticeships and proper training and then working with old timers who are willing to show you how to do it correctly is the way forward in my opinion. But, why wont people just ask advice on the job when they know and you know they are out of their depth is beyond me. There is nothing wrong with ambition, just how you go about it.

Mmmmmmmm....be careful.

If Mrs. Smith wants me to turn her 60' neglected bag'o'shite connies into a neatly trimmed hedge, the answer is no!

If I said yes to some of the more stupid customer requests I have had, I wouldn't have a very good reputation.

'Birch tree pollarded at this time of year? Certainly Madam, it should die nice and quickly, then people can see the full extent of my expertise....'

I seem to be landing myself in all sorts of trouble with this thread :blushing:

After reading my post past it reads wrong... im not condoning or suggesting people, especially inexperienced should say yes to every customers request with no questions asked or advice given.

Its more the moral of the quote - the worth ethic that lads need - the just crack on and get the job done attitude will get you far and is noticed over the lads who doodle around worrying about things and texting status updates on the myface space or whatever its called on their mobiles :001_rolleyes:

Interesting thread (as usual).

Here's my 2 bobs worth.

1. AT IS a great resource for us less experienced fellas. Banter/dry humor included.

2. Things are tough in all business atm.

3.Folk who get upset by a sarky comment on an online forum are not going to deal with the amusing little challenges of tree work (oh good! It's 630 on a friday evening, its just started pouring and.......... yes, my splice seems to have wrapped itself round my anchor point 15 times)

Anyways, I just dont think that there can be that many people following this career who aren't committed to what they're doing? If its something you really want to do then you'll get there thru the hard work it takes. Has anyone ever met an Arb whos said 'well it was pretty easy going, the hours were reasonable and the money was good'?

The folk just filling courses up at college wont see it all the way.

I seem to be landing myself in all sorts of trouble with this thread :blushing:

After reading my post past it reads wrong... im not condoning or suggesting people, especially inexperienced should say yes to every customers request with no questions asked or advice given.

Its more the moral of the quote - the worth ethic that lads need - the just crack on and get the job done attitude will get you far and is noticed over the lads who doodle around worrying about things and texting status updates on the myface space or whatever its called on their mobiles :001_rolleyes:

Amen to that bro!