Newbies and start-ups

Tom10

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ill pm you my address for the sweets im not fussy on types any will be greatly accepted :thumbup:

Don't get your hopes up mate, ain't no sweeties getting passed me at the moment, that's my replacement for smokes at the mo. You could come over and get em while they are fresh but I am on a shoot fresh faced arbs on sight policy just now:lol:

Think i'll wade in here. I personally don't understand how these six week courses or what not produce people who think they are the completed arb.

I passed my cs30 in 2000 and worked the ground and fed the chipper till i did my climbing etc in 2004. What I can't work out is how people who have handled a chainsaw on the ground for a week are expected to be proficient enough with it to operate it off the ground in close proximity to their life line.

Then after that they finish college they set out on their own. They can only teach you so much in a short period, I would not have had a clue on technical rigging pruning etc straight after my courses, i really do believe you can only learn that working with someone experienced and willing to teach you. I think if people realised that the cs etc is only the most basic qual and it's the experience that will really teach you.

After ten years on and off for the same firm, I went out on my own last year, and it's not at all easy getting enough work, especially when competing against people with no insurance, overheads etc. I'm not blaming anyone for ambition, but in my opinion it should be experience first, business set up later!

Think i'll wade in here. I personally don't understand how these six week courses or what not produce people who think they are the completed arb.

I passed my cs30 in 2000 and worked the ground and fed the chipper till i did my climbing etc in 2004. What I can't work out is how people who have handled a chainsaw on the ground for a week are expected to be proficient enough with it to operate it off the ground in close proximity to their life line.

Then after that they finish college they set out on their own. They can only teach you so much in a short period, I would not have had a clue on technical rigging pruning etc straight after my courses, i really do believe you can only learn that working with someone experienced and willing to teach you. I think if people realised that the cs etc is only the most basic qual and it's the experience that will really teach you.

After ten years on and off for the same firm, I went out on my own last year, and it's not at all easy getting enough work, especially when competing against people with no insurance, overheads etc. I'm not blaming anyone for ambition, but in my opinion it should be experience first, business set up later!

Good post -

I once met a very well respected arb that gave me one piece of advice.

''If Mrs Smith wants it done, the answer is yes'' :001_rolleyes:

Lovely work ethic, but experience is invaluable and your right, the CS units are the foundations to learn from. Like passing your driving test.......

Good post -

''If Mrs Smith wants it done, the answer is yes'' :001_rolleyes:

Lovely work ethic, but experience is invaluable and your right, the CS units are the foundations to learn from. Like passing your driving test.......

Mmmmmmmm....be careful.

If Mrs. Smith wants me to turn her 60' neglected bag'o'shite connies into a neatly trimmed hedge, the answer is no!

If I said yes to some of the more stupid customer requests I have had, I wouldn't have a very good reputation.

'Birch tree pollarded at this time of year? Certainly Madam, it should die nice and quickly, then people can see the full extent of my expertise....'

Good post -

''If Mrs Smith wants it done, the answer is yes'' :001_rolleyes:..

terrible bit of advice that, especially if mrs smith hasn't got a clue what she's on about, which is most often the case.

Mmmmmmmm....be careful.

If Mrs. Smith wants me to turn her 60' neglected bag'o'shite connies into a neatly trimmed hedge, the answer is no!

If I said yes to some of the more stupid customer requests I have had, I wouldn't have a very good reputation.

'Birch tree pollarded at this time of year? Certainly Madam, it should die nice and quickly, then people can see the full extent of my expertise....'

Beat me to it with my slow iPhone technique