Strange hands after long chainsaw use

huskydavid

To be honest, the described symptoms do NOT sound like the typical symptoms of "white finger" to me Vibration white finger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is more likely a problem with the muscles of the forearm, that pull the tendons of the fingers, caused by prolonged overloading of the muscles resulting in a cramp-like muscle state.

If this is indeed the cause, a number of exercises (performed at regular intervals during the work-day) are likely to relieve the symptoms, see Exercises RSI Tendonitis sections:

• Forearm Flexor Stretch with Pronation
  • Forearm Flexor Stretch with Supination

i tend to agree , check that he know's how to sharpen a saw properly,and maybe a bit of ibuprofen might help.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever it is, long periods of using any vibrating equipment can cause long lasting damage. My local council has told it's workers they must not use vibrating equipment for longer than 40 minutes a day. that's not 40 mins on each type ie. 40 mins on a chainsaw and then 40 mins on a strimmer making 80. 40mins in total.

Heat does help keep circulation going. I keep the heated grips going on my bike on most of the time except summer.

Whatever it is, long periods of using any vibrating equipment can cause long lasting damage. My local council has told it's workers they must not use vibrating equipment for longer than 40 minutes a day. that's not 40 mins on each type ie. 40 mins on a chainsaw and then 40 mins on a strimmer making 80. 40mins in total.

Heat does help keep circulation going. I keep the heated grips going on my bike on most of the time except summer.

So that's why council workers are all standing around leaning on shovels and watching 1 guy do the work? They are all waiting for their 40 minute shot? It's no wonder that things take so long to do these days, we have all this equipment to make jobs easier and quicker but we can't use them because we might strain a muscle or something! Complete nanny state we have become, the end is nigh people we are going backwards.

The councils may start looking to the private sector to get the job done on time? oh look a flying pig!

Here in France the councils have no such rules, little or no ppe, no hse, no cosh, loler............. but a 2 hour lunch as standard, 35 hour max. working week, job security for life! And to start the day a couple of expressos and a calvados ( apple brandy) is the norm in my local bar. chalk and cheese.

The councils may start looking to the private sector to get the job done on time? oh look a flying pig!

Here in France the councils have no such rules, little or no ppe, no hse, no cosh, loler............. but a 2 hour lunch as standard, 35 hour max. working week, job security for life! And to start the day a couple of expressos and a calvados ( apple brandy) is the norm in my local bar. chalk and cheese.

In Greece Spain and Portugal they have about 14 bank holidays a year compared to our 8

Funny how it's those countries that are suffering the most with the recession.

I do think we would leap forward as a nation if we followed the French attitude to life.

Coupled with a bit more respect for each other would mean an end to all the bull

We've just got to find a way round this- People just got to be made responsible for their own actions without signing a bit of paper every step of the journey.

Edited by Steve Bullman

I do wonder re: David Goss last post how anyone can work around the HAVS regulations? Someone in LA employ, or other, please tell me? I've always just "got on with it" but this isn't the right way these days. Maximum exposure times have to be adhered to, but are they in the real world?

I'm trying to introduce some proper decent H&S in the form of maximum exposure time to grumpy workmate of 5 minutes per day, and also introduce a maximum exposure level to his gaseous emissions.

:lol:

Joking aside that is more realistic than some of the crazy stuff in people's heads!