tree workers abilty to earn your opinions please

jacjak

Im doing a paper for college its to see if certain factors affect and restrict people in their abilty work and earn to their full potential.The main factors im looking at are

health and safety regs

conservation laws and presevation orders

people doing tree work that hold none or little qualification

the publics lack of knowledge at what qualifications they should be looking for when they get tree work done

or is it that they just dont care and want it done as cheap as possable

i am doing a small survey of the public as well,so far the amount of people that said they would attempt to do their own tree work before they would consider getting someone in to do is quite scary but think alot of people would change their opinion when there's 30 or 40 foot of tree between them and the problem area.

anyway would be really good to hear everyone's thought and views ,Im still really new to the industry so to hear what other people think would be a great help:confused1:

many thanks:001_smile:

First of all, welcome to the forum, and good to see yet another local member.

H&S restricting our work?: Well certain aspects of it do restrict us imo, but its more the rafts of paperwork on jobs that can impede, filling out upto 5 risk assessments per site, because its been thru 4 other contractors before we do the job.

Tpo/con area permissions: These arent too bad, tho teething issues with 1App were a pita. But these regs do stop or make it difficult for the rogue trader element.

Lesser qualified traders: Some of the most successful companies IN THIS AREA are in fact, on paper, less qualified than many, yet meet the requirements for all commercial works, and do a fine job too, so I think this is irrelevent in the scheme of things, so long as they are up-to-date with current regulations.

Public lack of knowledge about certificates: There is definitely a black hole in peoples knowledge and understanding of the requirements of proper knowledge and training in this trade. Much perception that we are farmboys hacking a branch off, and they could do the job themselves with a bowsaw/leccy chainsaw. Many dont even ask for proof of PLI,which is a must to have any tradesman working for you. And yes I think many are just looking for the cheapest job.

An extra point is that many people in this country are highly skilled at their trade, without having every single qualification that currently available. One big motor repair centre I know of has mechanics/fitters/bodyworkers who currently are not "qualified" in the modern sense, yet have many many years hands-on experience at the job, and carry out their jobs to a very high standard. The training schools put huge emphasis on selling training, because that how they earn their living, they need people to keep taking courses. Of course, this is only MY OWN OPINION, not that of Arbtalk.

thanks very much for your imput, hear what your sayin about qualification and skill dont always go hand in hand but thought id cover the point because some people feel hard done by because their payin out for all the qualifications while others do without.

how about lots of agro ,determination, not giving up when most others do, personal drive, inter personal skills, being able to take in drivel from those around you without droppin them, dealing affectively with annoyance,coping with shister competitors, losing jobs because customers are too tight to pay a professional who then ring you to dig them out of the mess they are in,

should i continue ?

Imo a paper of that nature should only be written from the 1st perspective.

All too many think they can come into this Game & smash eggs with big sticks because theres BIG MONEY in it WELL THeres BIg feckin EXPENSE & HASSLE to go with any income

someone somewhere COLLEGES are filling folks heads with the notion that this is an easy well paid industry

its A Shame they dont give a more rounded appraisal

its FUN! but its Bloody hard work , DIRTY grimy work, physically harsh, with a short career span.

tho' for a certain few probably the best job in the world,

Edited by Yorkshireman

do understand what you mean dont graft,dont earn ,and what you gain from working in the field is compleatly different from reading a text book or doing a course but some colleges do seem to give the impression that all it takes and then your ready to take on the world

all about getting people through the door and parting the cash i suppose.

and im now starting to get my own kit together im starting to see what you mean about the cost side of things,soon adds up:sad:

Im doing a paper for college its to see if certain factors affect and restrict people in their abilty work and earn to their full potential.The main factors im looking at are

health and safety regs

conservation laws and presevation orders

people doing tree work that hold none or little qualification

the publics lack of knowledge at what qualifications they should be looking for when they get tree work done

or is it that they just dont care and want it done as cheap as possable

i am doing a small survey of the public as well,so far the amount of people that said they would attempt to do their own tree work before they would consider getting someone in to do is quite scary but think alot of people would change their opinion when there's 30 or 40 foot of tree between them and the problem area.

anyway would be really good to hear everyone's thought and views ,Im still really new to the industry so to hear what other people think would be a great help:confused1:

many thanks:001_smile:

Customers moving or dying of old age - seriously.

When the high-tech industry started shakin around here (we have Intel) there seemed to be a lot more people moving in and out of the area. So I'd loose several cutomers who moved out of state, but the new owners might just do their own work, skip it for a while or change service.

And my first years in business saw a lot of older people. Quite a few passed away.

This affected my advertising and how full my schedule was.

So in one way, properity for some trades did not mean properity for me. Some customers also upgraded to mini-mansions with cheap landscapes already included, needing no install work, nor pruning. Saw a lot of that happen.

A paper based on others experience & knowledge teach's you what exactly ?

If I did something like this, I'd say it can help readers learn to think outside the box.

Edited by mdvaden