passed cs32 this morning

APC

It's not too bad. I did mine in a thuja/pine plantation. If your levels are good, you should be on to a winner. I think I only took down 9/10 trees all week but every aspect was monitored closely by the trainer which was better than being shown cuts once then sent off quarter of a mile away to bash down as many as you can.

I did 2 part cut on the hung up tree, or whatever the cut was called. Winched it out, rolling it around a tangly pine. Second tree was leaning thuja that I did dogs tooth on. Was the bigger of the trees, cuts met pretty much spot on. It got hung up too but was almost expected to. Quick roll then straight pull back and it was sorted.

Enjoyed it loads and learned a lot. Wish I could have done a couple of broad leaves tbh but never mind.

:001_smile: Passed mine as well on Monday. Started off doing some Hemlock and then moved onto a private estate removing immature Oaks. One tree I left too much hinge and another I overcompensated and went through the hinge. On the day things went better although my hung up tree was almost vertical and so the winching took a looong time but lucky that I had Joe a fit younger guy to help with the winching. Really enjoyed it but think my 260 was a bit underpowered! All four of us on the course passed.

Thanks to Mark P for the training and Andy G for the assessment (and useful tips along the way). Next up CS34 if I can find someone that does it!

Well done on passing your CS32:thumbup1:

I'm off on mine next week near Bridgenorth, but living about 80miles away decided to stay in a cottage nearby, so up with my wife and dogs and a pickup full of saws.

I've been practicing on some large dead Horse chestnuts, all went down ok but not too happy with my cuts, any tips on getting cuts level:confused1:

I had been using a MS 460 with a 15" bar but also taking a MS280 also with a 15" - any tips welcome:thumbup1:

Well done on passing your CS32:thumbup1:

I'm off on mine next week near Bridgenorth, but living about 80miles away decided to stay in a cottage nearby, so up with my wife and dogs and a pickup full of saws.

I've been practicing on some large dead Horse chestnuts, all went down ok but not too happy with my cuts, any tips on getting cuts level:confused1:

I had been using a MS 460 with a 15" bar but also taking a MS280 also with a 15" - any tips welcome:thumbup1:

hold the saw level:001_tt2:

hold the saw level:001_tt2:

Thanks:thumbup1: I'm trying to. Most of the time its ok I start off well but I seam to degrade a bit with practice. Just wondered if there are any tips that may help, not just me but for others.:thumbup1:

Thanks:thumbup1: I'm trying to. Most of the time its ok I start off well but I seam to degrade a bit with practice. Just wondered if there are any tips that may help, not just me but for others.:thumbup1:

Makes sure the saw is sharp and well sharpened so it doesn't cut up or down. Let the saw do the work if you try and force it you'll cut a curve.

Makes sure the saw is sharp and well sharpened so it doesn't cut up or down. Let the saw do the work if you try and force it you'll cut a curve.

Thanks Brushcutter, I started on a 3ft dia oak bough with a ms460 with a 15" bar went well at first but went out a bit after a while, assume it was the chain, dropped 9 big old well dead conker trees for practice again it dropped off a bit, so I can see where it's going a bit out. Bit of a prob for me to get in enough practice.

Just wondered if there were some 'old boy' tips as I have found them so useful in the past.

Mind you these 80ft conkers were 'interesting', I set up a winch with 120ft of cable & slings as the tops were well dead - just as well, as they fell they broke in two and fell on the stump.