question

bulklog

hi all , we have been selling logs for a 2 years now, got the production sorted, we have not advertised as such yet (word of mouth repeat customers etc) a friend of mine sells and fits fireplaces and has started to give my number out and im getting more calls which is good .

the question is .

i normally sell bulk bag for 45 quid ,

as everyone so far is local i'll drop them off on me way round,

but im thinking of advertising on the firewood directory with this and with the added calls from my friends fireplace job means traveling further distances more diesel/time etc ,

should i adjust my price to cover diesel/time for all say 55 pound a bulk bag and upset current customer base, or have a radius that i only sell in ie local say 15 miles ?? or have a look at palletline to deliver out of area or something might cost too much?? , how do the big boys work it??

many thanks

steve 07764942934

£45 for a bulk bag is cheap provided your wood is good and dry. You could probably put that price up without issue to £55. As for your long (er) distance customers why not state a delivery charge of £x will be added for drops more than 10 miles from postcode AB12 3CD

Builders bags come in a variety of sizes, from around .5 to about .8 cu m. Mostly they tend to be 800x800x800 which is .512 cu m.

Most of us here are selling either bulk 1 cu m bags from Bag Supplies etc or in bulk. Price wise to sell at £45 for a .512 cu m bag of soft is not to bad assuming you are buying cord at the right money but its a lot of time for not a lot of money. You would be better selling 1 cu meter bags at £90, just puts more money in your pocket.

A 5kw stove will use 1 cu m of logs in 4 weeks when burnt most nights and weekends. I would add a delivery charge for say over 5 miles or maybe 10 miles.

A

its a builders bag for 45 quid ,

im thinking i need to get a map out witha compass and work out what radius i can deliver say 5 miles free 10 miles £10 or something like that , was just wondering what you lot do that was all!!

cheers

steve

its a builders bag for 45 quid ,

im thinking i need to get a map out witha compass and work out what radius i can deliver say 5 miles free 10 miles £10 or something like that , was just wondering what you lot do that was all!!

cheers

steve

thats what I do, free delivery within 7 miles, 8-12 miles tenner delivery and 13+ i quote for the individual.

I'd say soft wood per bulk bag is still worth £55, with the running around delivering and the time processing i'd say £45 is not worth doing regardless of soft or hardwood.

I sell my bulk bags at £65 a pop and sell them no probs.

all the best