The Amazing Shard!

silky fox

Took these photos yesterday.For Months i,ve watched the crane climb up the side..and now the Shard has become the tallest building in Europe...The job of "Jumping" the tower crane is considered to be the most dangerous job in construction. The crane opperator said he never tired of the view. it is HUGE.

Which crane operator did you speak to? It wasn't Dan by any chance was it?

Don,t remember his name but he was from Liverpool and with many years experience as a tower crane opperator...you can see him interviewed on You Tube..he says that the height of the crane at the top of the Shard is only half what it is capable of climbing to!..

I saw that interview after the crane op I know who is working there pointed me to it. Not sure the guy I know would have been suitable for interview - there'd only be about 5 seconds left of a 10 min interview after bleeping the language :) He's been on the top crane there from the start. I'd love to go up there and have a proper look.

• 4 months later...
They should get oxygen masks and parachutes as PPE!

And the groundies should get umbrellas for the falling brown stuff, you gotta be brave to do that!

Are you referring to the Kevlar brand umbrellas:sneaky2:. Very impressive structure. Will be curious to see if anyone has done a time laps history of the construction?

easy-lift guy

i saw the doc on tv a couple of weeks back, from start to finish. they had to stop work a couple of times due to high winds ,above 40mph i think it was and that was just halfway up.

would be a great thing to have on your cv. being 1 of 3 to be at the top finishing the job off lol

i think i also heard that so many lower floors are open to the public or the top i for get now and each apartment is in the millions!