Any musicians in the house?

will.morris

Played guitar since I was 8. Hard to believe if you heard me, been on and off. Pick it up religiously for a few years then drop it for a year or so. I go through phases of not having anything new to keep me interested then find something that will rekindle it. Have played in bands, anything from metal to traditional Irish. Last few years been really into acoustic, John Martyn, Dave Matthews, Nick Drake etc. Love being able to just get up and carry a tune on my own. Time constraints make organising multiple musicians a bit too tricky these days, especially with a nipper on the way.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I play clarinet and alto sax.

Previously, I've played cornet, trombone, tenor horn and euphonium.

I've been trying to improve on the guitar (for the last 20 odd years).

Similar story to me :001_smile:

Never knew you played Andy! I totally understand you with the pressure as a child thing, I had many dummy spitting moments in youth bands. I'm still to this day a very shy player and could'nt play in front of a group of people without beta-blockers. My dad is a brass fanatic as well whos played cornet for years and years and has conducted a vast amount of bands so I was always strongly encouraged (wouldnt say forced) to do my 20mins a day etc ... glad I did now. He filled in as conductor in my high school big band when our regular fell ill .... That was hard for me as I found it hard taking advice from him.

Good to hear what people do/play on here :thumbup:

Started guitar at 11, then bass at 12, was in a band all thru school, then went to Basstech at 14 then Music college at 16 in London. Some of my fellow students were in a band called naked, which turned into Reef. Another fellow student is house bassist for Ronni Scotts.

Then played in bands for the rest of the time, RnB gigs a plenty, then our own band. Done lots of sessions, produced my own stuff and went on a tour in Finley Quayes band.

I have started playing the violin again after 15 years but cant bring my self to play in front of people yet to scratchy and forgoten a fair bit when was 10 won 2 cups in birmingham music festival and 12 went on tour to germany playing the bach double with my dad then gave it up as a teenager .i dont regret i took the path i did doing forestry and now i can enjoy it as a hobby as it was becoming a chore when gave it up.

I've played drums for about 13 years, multiple bands and recordings. For a brief time, it was my sole source of income. Haven't had the time to play in bands for the last couple of years, but I'm now back on the horse, looking for new people to play with. How about an Arbtalk band? We could do the theme tune for steve's axe throwing comps!!!

Just wondered if anyone here plays any instruments either in bands or just for leisure :001_smile:

I played trumpet from the age of 5 until I was 17 and have sat on various seats from solo down to fourth in various jazz, brass bands and orchestras. I got a brace fitted and it messed up my mouth structure, which disheartened me so I stopped.

I'm now 22, not far off 23 and have been playing alto sax for about 2 1/2 years.

Have played trombone, piano, guitar (electric and accoustic), cornet, flugal horn but never really got on with them that much, loving alto sax now though and am thinking about getting a soprano sax when I'm a bit more experienced (notoriously hard to play in tune).

Don't be fooled though I'm also a metal head and love heavy bands such as lamb of god, slayer, metallica, napalm death etc. :thumbup:

Currently staying up late listening to and wishing I had this mans sound!

Kenny G - Alone - YouTube

I can play the Piccolo, Piccolo, Piccolo, I can play the Piccolo, picco,picco low, what can you play?:lol:

I've played drums for about 13 years, multiple bands and recordings. For a brief time, it was my sole source of income. Haven't had the time to play in bands for the last couple of years, but I'm now back on the horse, looking for new people to play with. How about an Arbtalk band? We could do the theme tune for steve's axe throwing comps!!!

It could potentially be a highly mixed band haha! Any instruments/vocalists allowed with the exception of mc'ers, rappers :lol:

"write the theme tooon sing the theme tooon :001_tt2:"