Do i Buy a Chipper

pos1981

Also, what sort of experience are you hoping to get from companies that don't own a chipper?

sorry to quote you on this but what exactly do you mean by it?????

only asking as don't have a chipper.....!!!!!!!!!

does that mean he would get better training from someone who has a chipper, than he would from me???????????????

FFS....................

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry to quote you on this but what exactly do you mean by it?????

only asking as don't have a chipper.....!!!!!!!!!

does that mean he would get better training from someone who has a chipper, than he would from me???????????????

FFS....................

In this day and age a chipper is pretty much a prerequisite for tree work.

Not having one is a bit like trying to do the job with a bow saw instead of a chainsaw.

I had no chipper when I first set up, but that only lasted months and I would not have even considered trying to build up a decent business without one.

As ever, this is only my personal appinion.

In this day and age a chipper is pretty much a prerequisite for tree work.

Not having one is a bit like trying to do the job with a bow saw instead of a chainsaw.

I had no chipper when I first set up, but that only lasted months and I would not have even considered trying to build up a decent business without one.

As ever, this is only my personal appinion.

Fair does huck, but by no means do i struggle there are means and ways without owning a chipper, i contract climb 70% of the time so it would not be efficient for me to own one....(YET) the 30% of private work i get in i use someone who has a tipper/chipper and i pay him a set amount a day and get plenty done for me to earn my wages and make enough profit for my business to grow.....i treat anyone's equipment like it was my own.

Fair does huck, but by no means do i struggle there are means and ways without owning a chipper, i contract climb 70% of the time so it would not be efficient for me to own one....(YET) the 30% of private work i get in i use someone who has a tipper/chipper and i pay him a set amount a day and get plenty done for me to earn my wages and make enough profit for my business to grow.....i treat anyone's equipment like it was my own.

So really Scotty's comment was valid, you would only really be able to offer 30% of the experience of some one doing their own work all the time.

Typically a company without a chipper are a bit yeeha and not so professional. Unless your constantly on burn up jobs I don't see how people Di without them my 3 man crew made 3 loads of chip today without a chipper it would have been twice that in brushwood, the extra time mashing down etc would have ruined the day totally.

As everyone else has said don't buy a chipper to try to get work, if you have that kinda cash laying about persevere with getting Groundy work and tickets and relax.

---

I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mxpguk

So really Scotty's comment was valid, you would only really be able to offer 30% of the experience of some one doing their own work all the time.

not at all......scotys comment to me looked like he was saying you would get more experience from someone with a chipper than without! what has that got to do with me subbing my chipping work out? and who's to say he would only work with and get experience from me?

also 30% of my XP could only be 10% of someone else's

When I was in the OP position over 16 years ago, all I had to look at regarding tree surgery was an old Honey Brothers magazine someone gave me, I had no idea what was I front of me or what was even involved, now with the Internet and forums it must seem like everyone else is busy busy and be tough to see the action but not be involved.

I would borrow my girlfriends car and drive all around Glasgow just hoping to see a squad working, I never did though lol.

I got fed up and just bought a harness, rope and spikes and just went and climbed trees out of site, then as I got better and some folk saw me, I would get asked to get things out of trees and I happened to be up an oak tree, over a dirt track when a guy who lived up the rd stopped with another guy I knew to talk to me, it just so happened he worked for a company that were looking for a climber, now I hadn't even used a saw up a tree, I just got the bosses number, called him and blagged it. I had loads of experience doing firewood and felled some woodland trees.

I said I could, had some very nervous few weeks and just got on with it, so if it worked for me, it may well work for you.

And as far as starting off cheap and undercutting others, that's business.

not at all......scotys comment to me looked like he was saying you would get more experience from someone with a chipper than without! what has that got to do with me subbing my chipping work out? and who's to say he would only work with and get experience from me?

also 30% of my XP could only be 10% of someone else's

:confused1: But 70% of the time you could not offer anyone any experience, as your not running your own jobs, that leaves you with 30% to offer, surely.

Typically a company without a chipper are a bit yeeha and not so professional.

So not having a chipper makes you a cowboy? Everyone has to start somewhere and chippers are expensive, you can be just as professional without one just have to work harder....

and i sure ive seen pleanty off dodgy work over the years done by companys with chippers, you can have all the gear and still not have an idea..