Gang members hard ?

Dean Lofthouse

I don't have time for all this "it's not their fault" brigade, of course it is, they choose their path in life, no-one else.

My lads have both grown up in a council house, in a row of council houses. They both went to the local State schools for their education. The high school not being in the top of achievers. Both lads chose who they wished to hang around with, which group to be a part of.

My oldest achieved all his gcses and A levels, then his degree, before starting his own business which is now respected through his own hard graft. The other lad did not achieve so well academically, but he knuckled down, spent his spare time working instead of being a bum, is now halfway through an apprenticeship with Honda, where he is constantly attaining 90%+ scores.

Both lads know right from wrong, have good morals, but were not brought up in either a strict manner, nor a religious manner. They totally chose their own paths, as do teens everywhere. I cannot claim that I did a good job as a father, I didn't pass a test and get a bit of paper, but the end result is one to be proud of.

There are many similar tales out there of our kids, probably many more than those of "bad" kids, it's just we don't hear the good in people. Perhaps a better investment of time and energy from more parents with their kids would be beneficial, but social and financial demands seem to take priority over kids needs.

:congrats: well said Andy.

I myself grew up in a violent neighbourhood surrounded by neds or chavs as you call them. I made my own choices when I was young and changed my friends till I found ones that were not thugs (difficult in my neck of the woods). As it stands now a lot of the people I knew while in school and growing up there are either in jail, dead or slowly killing themselves with drugs and alcohol. But one thing remains that they are still the same idiots as when they were at school.

It IS their choice to be who they want to be, I know I was there. Andy got it right when he said it is their fault, they are all individuals but just choose to be the wrong kind.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Andy, why do you think your boys did so well? It was you and your wife's doing, and all the people you chose to be around your boys, your tribe so to speak, you installed what's right and what's wrong, you put this in early and it stuck with them for life, so whether it's digging a hole or sitting exams they know to give it their all, they are a credit to you and your wife.

Andy, why do you think your boys did so well? It was you and your wife's doing, and all the people you chose to be around your boys, your tribe so to speak, you installed what's right and what's wrong, you put this in early and it stuck with them for life, so whether it's digging a hole or sitting exams they know to give it their all, they are a credit to you and your wife.

This is true in many cases Stevie but I know many guys with decent parents that went bad, it's not always the case that the parents were bad but the choices the child makes that makes the difference. Being influenced by the bad that surrounds them has the biggest pull and it's not easy to say no when all your mates are egging you on.

This is true in many cases Stevie but I know many guys with decent parents that went bad, it's not always the case that the parents were bad but the choices the child makes that makes the difference. Being influenced by the bad that surrounds them has the biggest pull and it's not easy to say no when all your mates are egging you on.

I know of kids from nice backgrounds who turned bad as well.. Andy for example is not a spineless twerp like maybe there fathers are ,he is a good role model , the kind of guy you would aspire to be.

Why do you think that is ?

Because in the final annalise it is up to choice and not giving into temptation.

How strong one is and remains from a mental and physical standpoint determines which course to take and right or wrong decisions to be made along life's journey.:thumbup1:

easy-lift guy