Flatbed trailer repair

Dean Lofthouse

Cheers Bob, I'll look next time :thumbup:

Steve.. one of the problems, especailly with mine is that when you raise the front end to unhitch, all the weight transfers forward because you are picking up the front axle, the further apart the axles are spaced the worse it is. This is especailly bad because of how much the landrover raises for little weight on the top part of the springs travel. if the landy is half loaded it stays put and you only have to lift a couple of inch.

The trailer can sit perfectly level unhitched with very little nose weight, but start picking up that front end and the front axle ...............

I think I'll put the eye back on instead of ball hitch, then theres no lifting up to do.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

or even a couple of blocks of wood when the back wheels of landy off ground no handbrake!! seen it happen loading a mini digger it all ended in tears

HI SANDY your right there i had it happen to with a new 14ft ifor flatbed with a tractor and no legs on trailer or blocks it was on a hill in pilton somerset the land rover was ok all the best jon :thumbup:

Can you not put a pair of screw jacks on the front of the chassis? Would spread the load out over 2 points then, also the jacks generally have a decent load rating too

I'm going to have a look at Bobs chipper to see what the contraption is he has got, but screw jacks would be better than the crappy jockey wheels if not.

The jockey wheels aren't bending, it's always the thread that goes in them or the bearing in the top shatters and I always strip them down from new and grease the whole thread and bearing properly.

Only yesterday I witnessed a Landy back axle in the air as some one loaded a mini excavator on to a flkat bed trailer they just couldn't be bothered to use the prop stands.

Dean, I got a pair of Ifor Williams rear props for 50 quid off ebay and if they are well greased they work very well. I allways spec trailers with pin & eye hitches they are a bit noiser than ball hitches but mutch easier toi unhitch loaded.

If i am unhitching in the yard loaded i use a trolley jack to raise the trailer off the hitch and leave axle stands under the front corners of the trailer.