Marketing research project

Baxter

Hi

Im hoping someone can answer a few questions to help me with a marketing assignment for my FdSc arb course.

How much are the small red sacks of seasoned logs normally sold for?

Are the ones sold at petrol stations over priced for their quality?

Is there a specific size/name for the sack?

Thanks!

Nick

Quality would vary from supplier to supplier. "over priced" is relative- if they sell well at a certain price then they're not over priced. However someone who has a plentiful supply of logs and has the means to process them for their own home use then they would probably consider them dear. Convenience cost money.

The market is largely consumer-led. demand and therefore price can vary hugely depending on quality of the product and the service provided. Competition in local supply can also have a large impact on price, or rather whether or not the product will sell at that price. Also there are other factors like the affluence of an area, people with more spair cash are more likely to buy logs. Weather is a factor - even if logs are over-priced most of the year, one good cold snap will inevitably sell more, again because of changes in demand.

'How much are the small red sacks of seasoned logs normally sold for?'

West London - £5 - £6.99

'Are the ones sold at petrol stations over priced for their quality?'

Only if purchasers know what a 'quality' log should be like (dry, seasoned, good wood choice) - most punters just see/want a bag of wood which will (hopefully) burn.

I'm a user not a producer. I have never understood who the customer base is for little bags of logs at petrol stations. I buy by the trailer load. A petrol station bag wouldn't keep me going for an evening! Are they bought for purely "decorative" fires?

some people cant afford to spend £150.00 for a load they rather buy the small bags as they need them ,others have no storage 80% of my buisness is supplying small bags to shops and garages.Prices vary up here in gwynedd the most you will pay for a samall bag is £4 unless its a CPL bag or fuel express the cheapest ive sean one of them is £4.50i recommend my customers to charge £3.50 each or 3 for £10.

As for the size of the nets some suppliers use the 60x40cm net which holds 8-10 medium size logs and others use the 65x45cm net which holds 10-12 medium size logs .good luck with your course