To Coronet or Not to Coronet, now that is a question

David Humphries

• 3 months later...

This is not intended as a thread reopener, rather just an updated shot of the first picture on post one, for those who may be interested ( Its not everybodies Bag ! )

This angle shows the obvious difference between pruning methods, which has been left deliberately for people to comment upon, if they ever happen to let their eyes wonder skywards !

P2070004.jpg.731e85120a9b3da9ff1058145909f71d.jpg

This is not intended as a thread reopener, rather just an updated shot of the first picture on post one, for those who may be interested ( Its not everybodies Bag ! )

This angle shows the obvious difference between pruning methods, which has been left deliberately for people to comment upon, if they ever happen to let their eyes wonder skywards !

i did my first the otherday, wasnt the best tho and didnt look like barts head, there is quite a skill to it though

We've been doing a lot of coronet cutting this year - I've not had any sort of training on it and was just given a sheet of paper with a rubbish black and white photo on it. My coronets have been far shallower than these though. Work position is definitely an issue here and I've been in a few positions where it didn't feel good. Any tips on how to carry out awkward coronet cuts? I find it a bit of a pain to do at the end of a laborious removal.

We've been doing a lot of coronet cutting this year - I've not had any sort of training on it and was just given a sheet of paper with a rubbish black and white photo on it. My coronets have been far shallower than these though. Work position is definitely an issue here and I've been in a few positions where it didn't feel good. Any tips on how to carry out awkward coronet cuts? I find it a bit of a pain to do at the end of a laborious removal.

Most Coronets will be tiring and awkward, especialy if you don't have a higher anchor point.

Cut away the larger deep cuts with an 360 or above, anything smaller and this will add to your fatique. Then finish with a 260 or 200 for the finer cuts.

A MEWP is always the best option, if youve got access to one.

Or send up someone fresh to do the Coronets.

I don't see why coronets all seem to be cut as a standard tidy radial method... 'bart's head'... The whole point is random crunchy cuts isn't it???

I've done some bits before- mainly with massive oak limbs with loads of weight and leverage. I don't like to prune any big limb right back to the stem, doesn't matter if it's done Shigo/ natural target style or flush it's all invasive and damaging. I left one limb long with a long stub that's fluted and sculpted and did a bit of ring barking to encourage the limb to snuff it. I don't imagine bats and bugs are picky about how tidy your cuts are :) - it's just human tidiness again :thumbsdown:

I don't see why coronets all seem to be cut as a standard tidy radial method... 'bart's head'... The whole point is random crunchy cuts isn't it???:

Will, if you are refering to the Ash Coro in the first picture, i think the criticism is a tad harsh as all you can really see and comment on (which you are perfectly entitled to) is a two dimensional picture.

Personaly i dont think thats a fair reflection of those particular shots, as there was a fair bit of depth differential undertaken.

Granted though, the art to Coronetting is not forgetting that the main sight line on to the cuts is not from the practitioners or birds eye view, but from someone walking way down below.