Valtra 6400 - pros & cons

treedave

I run a 8950 with 8m roofmount, reverse drive, 50kbox and electrohydraulic controls. I was going to buy a basic with botex. But once i saw this one the difference is night and day. Have a go on both. Speak to your accountant. Big prices might scare you away but there is tax benefits on buying kit. Mine was 45k. But a scrapper will be between 20 and 30. I used to run a 4 man team with the mog for chip and transit for heavy. Now i just run the valmet and sub in labourers. Mechanise as much in as you can that is what i say. It works for me because i work within a 20 mile radious. I take it home in monster trailer than sort it all out at weekends with the heater on. I have just bought a splitter for crane so i can do firewood with ease, as i think that is the future for now. Hope this helps.

Spot on!!

Staff are just hassle!, better to get good kit, IME.

Spot on!!

Staff are just hassle!, better to get good kit, IME.

I have been wondering about this subject for a while now, for arguments sake a decent labourer / groundsman cost 15k a year, fifteen thousand pounds, over five years thats obviously £75,000 imagine what you could buy for that ......... a huge amount of money can you replace staff with machinery in tree work???????????

Edited by David Riding

I drive a Valtra 8150 (40kph) with reverse drive quite often,

In all honesty it has a crap turning circle (far worse than my Unimog u1600) unless the independent brakes are used

With the mulcher (2000kg) on the back there is very little weight on the front axel even with some weight on the front linkage witch makes the steering worse.

By the same comparison if I transport the same mulcher on the back of my u1600 though it looks a bit nose-up due to the rear suspension dropping there is no ill affects on the steering on road at 56mph or off road (though its obviously much easer to use the Valtra in reverse drive wile mulching!)

Other than that, they seem durable, reliable & reasonably well though out.

I have been wondering about this subject for a while now, for arguments sake a decent labourer / groundsman cost 15k a year, fifteen thousand pounds, over five years thats obviously £75,000 imagine what you could buy for that ......... a huge amount of money can you replace staff with machinery in tree work???????????

Yes!!!!!!!

Best thing I ever did!!

I used to have 4/5 staff/subbies.

Now have 1 subbie.

IMHO, if you do the climbing/felling yourself and have the best gear you can its far easer to make a decent living.

I say to make money, you should either be a one man band with loads of toys. Or have 30 staff crap kit and work them with a whip and treat them like dirt and chase utility work. The latter is not my style. And i have been using this forum for 2 days and it certainly sounds like its not anyone elses. A breath of fresh air .

I say to make money, you should either be a one man band with loads of toys. Or have 30 staff crap kit and work them with a whip and treat them like dirt and chase utility work. The latter is not my style. And i have been using this forum for 2 days and it certainly sounds like its not anyone elses. A breath of fresh air .

Nail on the head!

:congrats::congrats:

There are exceptions of course, but not many,IMO.