Large sitka sawlog price?

Hi there,

I managed to completely by fluke bump into the lady at West Lothian Council with whom I needed to have a chat about sawlogs.

There are some very large Sitka butts from the January storms (7 + metres long 60-80cm diameter) available and she asked me to offer, but I really don't have a clue what the going rate is, being a hardwoods man usually.

Would £40-45 a tonne secure them?

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

Most (but not all) sawmills do not like large diameter logs, which is possible one reason why they have not shifted them.

This should put you in a good bargining position, start low and work your way up.

Second that, I'd start at about half of what your thinking. In theory you've got the bargaining power, they need to shift them and as the logs are oversized that limits where they can shift them to. Start low and good luck, could be a tidy deal for you! :001_smile:

Hi there,

I managed to completely by fluke bump into the lady at West Lothian Council with whom I needed to have a chat about sawlogs.

There are some very large Sitka butts from the January storms (7 + metres long 60-80cm diameter) available and she asked me to offer, but I really don't have a clue what the going rate is, being a hardwoods man usually.

Would £40-45 a tonne secure them?

Thanks in advance!

Jonathan

If they have any sense they will take your hand off! You will be lucky to get that at the sawmill gate and you will as others have said need to find a mill that will take sawlogs over 60cm.

Offer firewood value - they are worth a fortune to someone that needs 7m lengths or very large section beams and you could wait a while to find the right purchaser

Cheers

mac

Wow! A lot less than I would have thought on the tonne.

They really are lovely logs with almost no knots in - very clean 70-80 year old trees.

I'll start on £30 a tonne and go from there.

Thanks for all the help.

Robert - bang on the money there, as ever. Beecraigs specials!

Jonathan