Anyone using a hooklift system?

woodplans

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lol no worries, very nice truck Ed will get all hot under the collar when he see that latter ;)

Especially since I lost my 6x4 FH12 380 Volvo with 18 tonne crane to my bastard ex business partner...

Very nice truck that Iveco. Probably about the best rig you could get for heavy treework.

You should still have a payload of around 12 tonnes. I love double drive trucks :001_smile: bet you never miss your unimog now you have a 'proper' truck :D

Edited by Mr Ed

Cheers Ed, I'd of prefered a daf or scania but this is the first spec like this I've found so it'll do.

It'll run rings round the mog all day, 270hp, double drive with diff-lock, reversing camera, on board weigher, overhead cable warning device etc.

Its ex Environment Agency so pretty well maintained and not done a lot of work..

I also think I've sold the mog (without the trailer) for the same as money as I've just paid for the truck, fair swap I'd say.

Dont knock the Iveco Steve, the 270 is one of the best 6x4's out there. The Daf 75-270 is good, but the scania is overated. FM290 volvo is great but very pricey.

When you compare the truck to the Unimog on spec, I'll happily put white diesel in all day. Can you imagine the chassis bracing you'd need on a mog to mount a 14t crane?

I think its a brilliant trade.

The only reason I'd jump up to an 8x4 myself, is because my excavator weighs 15 tonnes, and would be too much for a 6x4 hooklift. But you loose on the turning circle you get with a 6x4.

There's no saving in fuel on the mog, its been run on white for over a year now.

It does about 11 mpg and I assume the Iveco will be around 8?

I've just been investigated today by HMRC again (second time in 14 months for running the mogs on red diesel.

I've now been told in no uncertain terms that our unimogs cannot run on red diesel whether carrying a load or not. (I know this is off topic so I wont go any further)

I didn't realise I'd have a 12 tonne payload, that sounds good, although we'd proably struggle to get that into a 16ft bin.

Thanks mr ED

i built it. its sitting on a set of colbbert 10 stub axles. the small ones so it runs on 15' wheels. and its a linktip hook gear from a 7.5 tonner. i built a body with the atlas crane mounted at the front to save me dragging it around all the time.

it sits well behind the 900, axles are in the rightplace etc. altho it fairly makes the mog crawl when you load it. i should really get it hitched to my 1250 for the heavy jobs