Tacho rules

ROG.

• 4 weeks later...

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Rog,

Can you give me some advice for one of my mates.

He has just bought a mobile climbing wall. The all up weight of the trailer (no loads as its all part of the wall) is 2000kg.

He is having to get a new vehicle to tow it with as his works van has a gross train limit thats 10kg too small (I am fairly sure that this is a legal limit & not a guide line). As the replacement is deff going to weigh over 1500kg so the total train weight will be over 3500kg will he need to fit a tacho?

He is not carrying any loads or goods for other people. The drivers will be working on the running of the wall so his main job is wall running not driving. Its regular work will be within a very small distance of his base but quite a bit will be at much longer distances.

Re the 10kg over weight I did try to get him to take it to a weigh bridge to see its actual weight & then if needed to remove any movable items from the trailer to the towing van. The spare wheel alone would be more than the 10kg needed & I would bet that the real weight is much less than the plated weight any way. Not that doing any of that would affect the need for a tacho.

GTW = ACTUAL weight and has nothing to do with GVW or MAM weights

As you say - taking it loaded to a weighbridge will show if the GTW is exceeded or not

You also correctly surmised that the wall is not goods being delivered but is his equipment being used for his job

Also correct was the less than 50 mile radius bit for a MAM combination of under 7.5 tonnes being exempt tacho rules

The one thing that might need looking into is the O licence rules but if the trailer is not more than 1020 unladen then that will be an exemption for own goods

O licence stuff is not really my bag

It turns out that the 10kg over limit is for the nose weight & not the towing weight. Trailer plated weight is actually 2700kg, but I dont think it actually weighs in at that.

So just to be clear if he goes further than 50km he needs a tacho if his actual tow vehicle weight & trailer actual weight is over 3500kg?

Which it will be.

I will look into O plate rules as well.

Can I just point out that the rules for tachos concern the type and usage of the machine, the rules for drivers are the drivers hours rules.

It’s worth noting that if you do find yourself falling under the UK drivers hours rules you don’t have to have a tacho fitted to your vehicle, indeed if one is fitted you can still use a manual log book.

It turns out that the 10kg over limit is for the nose weight & not the towing weight. Trailer plated weight is actually 2700kg, but I dont think it actually weighs in at that.

So just to be clear if he goes further than 50km he needs a tacho if his actual tow vehicle weight & trailer actual weight is over 3500kg?

Which it will be.

I will look into O plate rules as well.

I thought trailers were like see-saws put a counterbalance weight at the rear of the trailer and the nose weight reduces?

That 2700 added to the van GVW will deffo put it into tacho regs but then the exemptions need to be looked into will may take it out again

If the unladen weight of the trailer is not more than 1020 and only carrying own goods then I think its exempt O licence

As the trailer can not carry any load as the trailer is part of the "machine" that is fixed to itself is does not have any unladen weight. In effect you are towing a trailed device (like a chipper) & not a load carrying trailer.

Adding rear weight will reduce nose weight but also affect handling considerably. Plus I would expect that the police & VOSA would use "book" weights as well as actual weights when looking at legality.

I can find under 50km exemptions which apply but not any other that def apply.

As the trailer can not carry any load as the trailer is part of the "machine" that is fixed to itself is does not have any unladen weight. In effect you are towing a trailed device (like a chipper) & not a load carrying trailer.

Adding rear weight will reduce nose weight but also affect handling considerably. Plus I would expect that the police & VOSA would use "book" weights as well as actual weights when looking at legality.

I can find under 50km exemptions which apply but not any other that def apply.

They will go by actual weights

I thought trailers were like see-saws put a counterbalance weight at the rear of the trailer and the nose weight reduces?

That 2700 added to the van GVW will deffo put it into tacho regs but then the exemptions need to be looked into will may take it out again

If the unladen weight of the trailer is not more than 1020 and only carrying own goods then I think its exempt O licence

“O” licensing works by the weight of the towing vehicle.

Any vehicle over 3500kg requires an "O" licence, any trailer that is drawn by vehicles on the licence needs to be on the licence unless you hold a restricted UK licence, in which case there is no requirement to include trailers under 3500kg