Tacho rules

ROG.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To fall into the definition of a DPV, a vehicle must have a MAM (Maximum Authorised Mass, ie GVW) not exceeding 3500lg and an unladen weight not exceeding 2040kg, as well full- or part-time all-wheel-drive and/or other qualifying features.

If a vehicle weighs more than 2040kg unladen or has a MAM in excess of 3500kg then it cannot under any circumstances be a DPV.

The definition of a DPV for all legal purposes is the definition contained in the Motor Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 (as amended), and is very specific and quite simple. It is entirely based on the design characteristics of the vehicle and not the way it is actually used.

There is no way that a 7.5 tonne GVW curtain-sider can possibly legally be a DPV.

Thanks, I was aware of that, my question was to renewablejohn

Doesn't have full or part time all-wheel drive, so cannot be a DPV irrespective of weight.

Rechecked the regs since posting the above. My preceding post is misleading, sorry!

The situation is as follows:-

Regulation 3(2) of the Road Vehicles (Construction & use) Regulations 1986 [C&U(1986)] defines inter alia a “dual purpose vehicle” as follows:-

dual-purpose vehicle

a vehicle constructed or adapted for the carriage both of passengers and of goods or burden of any description, being a vehicle of which the unladen weight does not exceed 2040 kg, and which either—

(i) is so constructed or adapted that the driving power of the engine is, or by the appropriate use of the controls of the vehicle can be, transmitted to all the wheels of the vehicle; or

(ii) satisfies the following conditions as to construction, namely—

(a) the vehicle must be permanently fitted with a rigid roof, with or without a sliding panel;

(b) the area of the vehicle to the rear of the driver's seat must—

(i) be permanently fitted with at least one row of transverse seats (fixed or folding) for two or more passengers and those seats must be properly sprung or cushioned and provided with upholstered back-rests, attached either to the seats or to a side or the floor of the vehicle; and

(ii) be lit on each side and at the rear by a window or windows of glass or other transparent material having an area or aggregate area of not less than 1850 square centimetres on each side and not less than 770 square centimetres at the rear; and

© the distance between the rearmost part of the steering wheel and the back-rests of the row of transverse seats satisfying the requirements specified in head (i) of sub-paragraph (b) (or, if there is more than one such row of seats, the distance between the rearmost part of the steering wheel and the back-rests of the rearmost such row) must, when the seats are ready for use, be not less than one-third of the distance between the rearmost part of the steering wheel and the rearmost part of the floor of the vehicle.

See The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986

So, to use your curtainsider as a DPV, you would firstly have to reduce the unladen weight to 2040kg or less, and then either fit it with full or part time all-wheel-drive or permantly fit it with all the following:

- a full length "rigid" roof with or without a sliding panel

- a second row of seats

- rear side windows in the cab

- a rear window (all windows to meet the minimum size requirements above)

and also make sure that the distance from the steering wheel to the rear of the rearmost row of seats is at least one third of the distance from the steering wheel to the rear of the floor of the vehicle.

You will note that to meet the requirements of a DPV the vehicle must conform either to (i) or the whole of (ii) in the regs.

So, you are right, there is no MAM restriction for a DPV and it is indeed possible that you migh be able to make this vehicle legal, however I do not believe that it will be either useful or practical!

So the choice is fit 4WD or fit a crew cab both of which are standard options on Merc trucks. The limiting factor will be getting under the weight restrictions but with the increasing use of plastic, alloys and fiberglass I cannot see that being a problem.

For benefits just read the 3.5 tonne thread and then think of the solution in terms of a DPV compliant vehicle capable of GVW of 7.5 tonnes and the towing capability to match. With air suspension demounts are a practical solution for daily usage.

So the choice is fit 4WD or fit a crew cab both of which are standard options on Merc trucks. The limiting factor will be getting under the weight restrictions but with the increasing use of plastic, alloys and fiberglass I cannot see that being a problem.

For benefits just read the 3.5 tonne thread and then think of the solution in terms of a DPV compliant vehicle capable of GVW of 7.5 tonnes and the towing capability to match. With air suspension demounts are a practical solution for daily usage.

It rather depends on the requirement for a "rigid roof". I do not know whether the regs require the roof to be the full length of the vehicle or if a partial roof is adequate (ie is a 2WD-only pickup eligible as a DPV). This may have been established by the courts, and if you are serious about this scheme I strongly suggest finding out. I *think* that the roof must be full length, since I seem to recall reading that a 4WD Navara Crew Cab is legally a DPV, but a 2WD Navara Crew Cab is not.

So, you could either fit all-wheel-drive (when a crew cab would not be necessary but would definately be OK if you wanted one), OR you would have to fit a body meeting the "rigid roof" requirement with at least a second row of seats a minimum of 1/3rd the way back from the steering wheel to the rear of the vehicle.

You also need to establish whether a demountable body is considered payload or part of the vehicle. I would have thought that it is likely to be part of the vehicle and therefore included in the unladen weight, since (a) the vehicle is fundamentally useless without it, and (b) it is an integral part of the carrying structure that enables the vehicle to function.

The approach you are following is certainly interesting, even though I feel it is unlikely to succeed. I would strongly recommend that you find someone well-versed in vehicle construction law to provide advice before investing too much of you hard-earned cash in this project, though.