Blocking down a stem

Mr Ed

I power through like Ed or cut a little step below where the main cut is going to go, or sometimes even cut a little notch to give the chunk somewhere to go rather than against it's self.

I nearly always use a small twig or piece of bark to keep the cut open depending on the tree, if I could be bothered I would use a wedge like MB but somehow always leave it in my bag.

I can't remember the last time I blocked down anything really massive. (No jokes please).

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reg, when I started this thread, I was hoping you would bring in the block driver. I think it is one of those pieces of kit that would get only occasional use - but when it was used, it would be invaluable. My hope was to get as many views as possible, because I've worked with climbers who will rope off every single chunk - even when its unnecessary.

to lower every chog even when its not needed is a slow way to get things done, im with you ed, i will try and not use any ropes unless its really needed!!

tree work should be kept as simple as possible, technical roping should only be incurred if really necessarily. ropes slow the groundies down and the climber. the art of rigging is to not know how to rig but when to.

heres a very simple little energy saving trick for blocking larger stems with larger saws (obvious).

slice off top block all the way through, leave sitting there, then start cutting the second block straight away afterwards. only cut half way or a bit more, stop cutting, apply chainbrake, push off first block. then return to your saw and finish your cut. then repeat the process.

lifting a big saw onto and off your harness uses most of your energy when blocking. plus if the saw has a tendency to cut out, it's easier to start it if lodged in the stem.

tree work should be kept as simple as possible, technical roping should only be incurred if really necessarily. ropes slow the groundies down and the climber. the art of rigging is to not know how to rig but when to.

heres a very simple little energy saving trick for blocking larger stems with larger saws (obvious).

slice off top block all the way through, leave sitting there, then start cutting the second block straight away afterwards. only cut half way or a bit more, stop cutting, apply chainbrake, push off first block. then return to your saw and finish your cut. then repeat the process.

lifting a big saw onto and off your harness uses most of your energy when blocking. plus if the saw has a tendency to cut out, it's easier to start it if lodged in the stem.

I avoid that kind of repetitive cutting like the plague, interesting technique though. Rigging does take practice and forethought but gives you the ability to cut and place huge sections where otherwise might not be possible. Although obviously not too big that the ground-staff can’t deal with.

My strategy in a tree always starts like ‘how can I get this down with as little climbing and cutting as possible?’, whether by rigging or free-fall. You’d be surprised how many times rigging takes precedence, and I’m no slouch either.

i've always been a big fan of rigging, it's my favourite part of tree work. but in terms of a stem section, if i can rig off another tree that wins hands down every time, but in the situation where you got a close to the base drop zone, blocking is quicker than snatching(unless you have a very twisty stem).

blocking is quicker than snatching(unless you have a very twisty stem).
I think that also depends on trunk diam/species and climber etc

If you're having to make 4 cuts to my 1 + the time it takes me to set the rigging, I'd be pretty confident of 'holding my own'.

Cutting and moving large diameter hardwood-blocks can take time and effort. Rigging is comparatively easy for someone who's well practiced.

I’m amazed how many climbers perceive this sort of rigging as being laborious and somewhat difficult. I am only slight of build yet have always embraced this stage of a job. However, I will concede that the slinging/tying part takes practice and organization, but for this climber at least, tying ropes has always seemed preferable to extra unnecessary cutting in the tree.

Thanks for your input MMdman, I suspect I’m with the minority on this one.