Wanted: Scarifier

Sutton

The Mrs and me have a smallholding near Bath. Sheep, chickens, veg, fruit trees etc. You know the sort of thing, right? Anyway, we need to get on top of the two acres of grazing we have before spring.

Does anyone know of a scarifier for hire or for sale in the Bath/Avon/Wiltshire area?

It would need to be the blade type (fixed or swinging) not the spring tyne as the grass's thatch/moss is deep.

The drag harrowing we did last year helped but wasn't enough.

As for power, we could go either way: tractor PTO or push along.

A collector would be nice too :001_smile:

And yes I tried fleabay but all the good stuff is too far away.

Cheers

a good spring harrow is what you need, the old chain harrows which i guess you used are rubbish. A spring harrow is like a massive leaf rake with tines about 6-8mm across and staggered across the frame, drag it one way then at 90degrees to other way to get a good break up, i'd have thought down near Bath there would be plenty of local livestock farmers who would have one to hire you,

Something like this:

Parmiter Spring Harrow - Agricultural Equipment Manufacturer - Shelbourne Reynolds

it needs to have straight tines, the curved types are for cultivating.

C B

Cant give any better advice than crazy bull you could pull the grass up if that was set at too keen a angle . opico do one as well you can get them with a seeder box on to drill grass seed. A farmer / contractor should know somebody that has one. just ask around.