Husky 350 Silencer Bolt Snapped

DB24

Today started well, but it didn't last.....

One of the bolts that hold the silencer on to my Husky 350 fell out - didn't seem too bad....but the bolt would not go back in....

once I had the silencer off, I found that the bolt had snapped off....groan!

Of note the other silencer bolt was VERY tight, I thought that was going to shear off before it came out. This problem may be due to an issue I had with bolts working loose when the saw was new (several years ago) - local dealer "sorted it", perhaps just did them up **** tight?!

Is it worth buying a screw extractor to try (e.g. EXPERT SCHRODER 5 PIECE SCREW EXTRACTOR SET 45856 1B )?

Or am I needing a new cylinder? The Husqvarna workshop manual which I found (see Gardening Tools Direct: Husqvarna Workshop Manuals), lists various special tools that are needed to change the head - which, of course, I don't have...

All thoughts and advice welcome.

Thanks.

Husky350_02.JPG.d67ad22b023062950d7e4e5d29776b2e.JPG

Husky350_01.JPG.5c7f3c63cda961af0441288090c2de70.JPG

As ther head has snapped off it wont be under tension so may be easyer than you think . Try loads of WD40 on it first . Then If you can center a drill on it being carefull to keep it on center drill the screw with a drill about half it dia. Then you will be able to use an "easy out " or screw extractor . You will need a "T" type tap wrench to hold the easy out . Have done this myself before .

Do as Andy says, drill it with a decent sharp drill - make sure swarf doesnt fall in to the cylinder, use easy outs and if that fails, drill the hole out and use an M5 tap to re-tap the hole, should be able to do a good job.

A new OEM cylinder will be forking expensive - £150 - 200 and the aftermarket ones can be hit and miss!

Local dealer may have replaced studs using loctite/ thread lock product. A quality Easy out stud extractors certainly worth a go. Try appling some gentle heat to cylinder flange prior to turning extractor ( remove carb and other items senseative to heat), Be careful when drilling out the stud if you go off center the drill will take the easy option into the alloy. If you can find a pillar drill remove cylinder and drill out Good Luck.

Thanks for all the advice. I will order some screw extractors.

It would be easiest to remove the cylinder from the saw to drill the bolt stub:

1) The Husqvarna workshop manual shows a special position tool being used during refitting of the carburettor (see attached picture) is this tool essential?

2) Is there any way to insert the piston into the cylinder without the Husqvarna piston ring compression tool (part# 502 50 70-01)?

Thanks. :thumbup:

HuskyTool_502_54_17-01.jpg.26765fbab34c82d6496c806193c392c0.jpg

Thanks for all your helpful advice. I have got it out, thread intact.:thumbup:

Stubby you were right, fortunately it was not very tight.

Method used:

1) Proped saw up so thread socket was pointing up and filled hole with WD40 twice a day for a week.

2) Drilled centre of bolt stub with a 2mm cobalt drill to a depth of c. 6mm

3) Used Draper Expert No 1 screw extractor.

SilencerBoltStubOnExtractor.JPG.170241aea17a7406afc247a71cd67466.JPG