Prusik to ART progression.

timberbear

I've now climbed for the last 24yrs and like everyone I've progressed onto new better ropes and loops. After a week of heavy climbing I'm thinking of moving onto using a Spiderjack or lock jack. I've never used either but need to make my climbing more efficient and easier (my arms ache these days). I use three different ropes, Yale Imori (my favourite), New England Hi Viz and Yale XTC Fire. If I decide to move onto one of these devices could I still use the same ropes. Most of my climbing is on tall woodland trees so I don't spend too long up aloft. I appreciate using a new device would be a new learning curve but what device do you recommend?:confused1:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Prussik to rope wrench might be a step too far!! I agree though, pulley based system with a distel or VT would be a good start. Spiderjack will probably scare the wotsit out of you! PLus you will need a ropeguide to get either of these systems working so ropeguid and spiderjack in one go is one expensive experiment!!

There is no such thing as climbing gear that's too expensive, IMO.

If its the right thing for your requirements then it's money very well spent as you'll get total value from it.

If you spike up all the trees to cut the tops off then a Prussik will be fine.

Otherwise, Bigshot, Rope Wrench with Hitch Climber and a Pantin will get you there fastest with minimum effort.

Cheers Guys,

99.9% of the trees I work on are broadleaf and most of the time it's to remove hung up branches or remove damaged branches caused by felling adjacent trees. Most of the work is deep into the woodland, often on foot so travelling lite is the order of the day! I'm going to try the spider jack. If the trees coming down then the spikes are always used no matter what size it is.

Prussik to rope wrench might be a step too far!! I agree though, pulley based system with a distel or VT would be a good start. Spiderjack will probably scare the wotsit out of you! PLus you will need a ropeguide to get either of these systems working so ropeguid and spiderjack in one go is one expensive experiment!!

Do you have to use a rope guide with the spiderjack, ?? Ive just got a spiderjack??