30m Boabab climbed on rope wrench

gibbon

Gibbon,that was awsome!..watched in Full HD and played through Home Cineama!..felt every Hand over hand,every Karabiner flick and General climb to the top. Great Video of Modern tree climbing methods...Well worth the 6 hour upload...Beautiful location...And i have to agree with Mr Bullman that you can see the effort you put in to what was a worthwhile struggle up the srt...Thanks for Sharing

Thanks for putting that up, what a great location and climb. The rw seemed to make it look hard work I can appreciate the hike and the heat would not of helped your energy levels was you just using a pantin on one foot?

At one point did you have to untie the base anchor and haul the end of the rope up, then looked like you used drt for parts of the final ascent. Once you reached the top how did you make a retrievable tie in, send the end back down and make a mid line anchor to choke tip?

Hi marc. I had only been using the wrench for about 3 weeks when I climbed that. It wasn't really a struggle using the wrench just not such great technique on my part.The bits that were tricky were moving through the little shoots and climbing past the big branches the rope was resting against, mid air ascents are much easier. I started with a base tie off at 1st then had it untied. At the top I choked the rope with a running bowline and clipped my throwline into that so I could retrieve it.

Not really a great video to show climbing technique, I just thought the tree and location made the video worth sharing. I definately think srt made sense for me on that trip. The whole set up light weight and allowed me to take a shorter, lighter rope. There were 2 other guys climbing but we only had 2 ropes because a lot of our bagage allowance was used taking laptops, gps and laser measures for mapping. Using srt 2 of us could share a rope.

Yeah I had a pantin on one foot and a foot loop to the ascender on the other.

Edited by gibbon