chainsaw gloves

predator

I've seen a chain come off at full tilt and destroy a chain catcher. What it would do to your fingers god only knows. Thats fine by me if individuals decide not to wear them but i strongly disagree with experienced personell condoning it to beginners . A disregard for safety at such an early stage in ones career is heading for a shock one day .

There is only protection in the back of the left glove not the fingers isn't there?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is only protection in the back of the left glove not the fingers isn't there?

I'd still take my chance wearing them than not. The saw doesnt have to be running to cut yourself with it , well mines certainly dont. Surely you must wear them when taking down old hedges etc, the amount of crap you come across is a hazard in itself . All the big arb companies there mandatory anyway so for the vast majority of operators they better get used to them. :001_smile:

If i was to wear chainsaw gloves every day id be broke, they cost about £20 and last about as many hours before they go through at the fingertips. Also I feel that without them I have more control of the saw and am less likely to get blase (?) about safety because of the false sense of safety that the gloves offer. And as for climbing in them....

If i was to wear chainsaw gloves every day id be broke, they cost about £20 and last about as many hours before they go through at the fingertips. Also I feel that without them I have more control of the saw and am less likely to get blase (?) about safety because of the false sense of safety that the gloves offer. And as for climbing in them....

Its absolutely amazing me how many people on here complain about gloves being uncomfortable etc, i would say they must be wearing the wrong type of glove for the situation or are wearing the wrong size. I simply cant understand how you can feel safer not wearing them . I do agree that for the money they just do not last and dry out poorly. I seem to be standing alone on this topic for some unknown reason :thumbdown::001_smile:

its not that i necessarily feel safer not wearing them, but i feel more exposed without them and therefore take greater care handling the saw. the patch on the left hand only protcts that so if the chain snaps and takes out the chain catcher in the process, it won't be the left hand which needs the protection.

So you would rather a chain hit your hand without a glove than with one on ?

For me it doesn't feel any different after about half hours work I don't do much climbing as I am not yet qualified so cannot comment on that. I tend not to wear gloves when sawing on a sawing horse for logs and it does give you a little more throttle control on bigger saws but i'm sure if you used higher quality gloves then it wouldn't be much different. with all these "new" safety devices on saws chain catcher and hand protector/foot pad there is a less chance of a chain hitting your hand but with longer chains they are must as they can wrap round you hand several times if they snap. You've just got to ask yourself do i want a fully functioning hand for the rest of my life or just for you to feel more comfortable while your doing the job? I guess its kind of like medicine it tastes bad but does you good

Charlie

no, but then its irelevant whether they are chainsaw gloves or not as they won't have protection in the right area therefore i would prefer to wear a pair of £4 jobs that would do the same job. the chainsaw protection is really there to protect from kickback but there are safety features which should prevent contact anyway (assuming the saw is being handled right anyway). I think what I am trying to get at is that chainsaw gloves should be all or nothing protection wise, as there is just as much likely hood of cutting your right hand as your left, particularly for those to have bad habits such as taking the right hand of the handle before putting on chain brake etc.