Can someone help identify this giant evergreen?

will77t

Hello,

I've just bought a house with two giant evergreens (see attached picture) I was hoping someone could tell me what they are and how I can manage them.

They are a bit too big at the moment, have no real truck mass, just many thin shoots and are quite dusty when you brush past them.

Can anyone tell me:

What they are?

If I can cut them to 6ft without killing them?

If (once cut) they would green up?

Many Thanks,

Will

59765fcf4e368_treeidentification.jpg.b105b30e55db80be4f11e9a99133f55f.jpg

Thanks so much for the identification. From images of other trees on Google you seem to be spot on. With the help of your identification I have searched the web and found that Irish Yews do respond well to trimming. I do however plan to cut down quite a lot (to about 6ft high) and was wondering if this would be considered too harsh a trim?

Any ideas how long it would take to green up and what time of year is best to do the cutting?

Also, will it green up from the sides as well as the top?

Thanks again,

Will

Edited by will77t

You won't find it in BS3998 but we've ratchet strapped them really tightly before now and then wired them up before removing the straps, and then cut them back hard around the sides to remove any bulges (making sure you don't sever anything that is supporting life further up the tree obviously). They look terrible when you first do them but they grow back well within a season and end up a lot narrower and more formal looking. You need good strong wire, you can apply a lot of tension with a 5 tonne ratchet strap and you don't want it going pop... (before anyone shoots me down for tree mutilation, this was done as a last resort as the owner was going to remove them otherwise). They now look fantastic as they are regularly cut with a hedgecutter.