From Carpenter to Forest Worker. How???

Blackbomber

Hello to everyone on the forum, this is my first post so please bear with me, I was hoping for a bit of advice from all you Forest and tree people. Basically i've been a carpenter/joiner all my life and really want to spend the rest of my working life outside doing Forest Work.

How do i start? Do i go and do CS30/31 and ask somebody for a job or experience first, then CS30/31? I live in Cleobury Mortimer in South Shropshire if that helps. Does anyone know of a kindly Forester in that area that might give me a break?

any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

Funding for courses here:

Lantra ? LandSkills WM ? training ? businesses ? funding

Good place for courses - ring them up and see if you can help out in return for experience:

The Green Wood Centre - Woodland Management : Coppicing : Sustainable Building and Other Sustainable Technologies.

Volunteer - I started out volunteering with my local wildlife trust. Now I manage woodland on their behalf.

Hi Blackbomber , Doing your cs30/31 would be a good start, very basic but well worth it. Having worked with hand tools all your days i dont think you will find it a difficult course. You could do alot worse than advertise your services on here :thumbup1: You could also do a bit of ' wood vulturing ' and get cutting up some firewood to get you using a saw on a regular basis . :001_smile:

Your in the same position as me. I started by buying my ppe and saw gradually to help with costs then I did my cs30/31. Then I have been lucky enough to be able to work at weekends with someone on here (cheers you know who you are) got my pl insurance and I have just started my first private job today so just keep plodding on and you will get there if you want it enough. Good luck mate