Husqvarna 346 SPUD TUNED

Stubby

One thing I would like to do is compare a ported saw to one of the new 560s or 550s to compare the cut speed.

I am not setting myself up against others work as I have no idea on the others work and what he does, all I am doing is taking a saw and getting more out of it.

You can always do more tuning but I try to keep the saw useable and not do anything to shorten its life.

Hi All,

Im doing a 560xp at the moment and will be putting a vid up. We've all seen these saws on you tube cutting biscuits saying there ported etc etc. Most of these saws would last half the morning if you took them to work. The trick here is to make the saw run better and more efficiently without the need to having a constant supply of pot and pistons. Depending on what you plan on doing with the saw, a tourge tune is sometimes better than flatout rpm. What im trying to say is, if the saw isnt capable of earning you money, whats the point of having the saw? Just my thoughts this morning.

Agreed . The saw spud has worked on for me is totally usable and totally reliable . Starts second or third pull from cold and first pull from warm/hot. will idle all day if thats what you want . Pick up is instant mid range is good and is generally more efficient . Steve has set it up with a tacho to max out at 14400 to 14600 rpm with the plug giving the correct coloure . He burried it in some common oak and tached it in the cut at arround 1200rpm this being where some saws max out not under load .I put an 8 pin rim on to give even more chain speed but it might be better with a 7 and rely on the torque . Have yet to do a comp . It seems to pull the 8 fine though . Went through some holme oak yesterday like a goodun. It is most definately way better than standard and well worth the money . Provided you use good quality mix and keep the fuel fresh it will give good service for a good many years . ( 15" bar full pointy chain ):thumbup:

Agree with all that has been said, I ported my own saw bacause that is what blokes do ...isn't it?

I got to a point where I had fixed hundred of saws and wondered "what if"....and ended up with a fast saw so was happy to do Andys.

You can make some good gains without going loopy on mods, they need to earn a living and be reliable unless you are just racing them at the weekend but most want a light ground saw that screams:thumbup:

I don't profess to be a porting God but do have a good knowledge of saws and what goes on inside them and how the ports, transfers and squish can be adjusted for performance gains.

Be interesting to compare the speed of a ported 357 against a standard 560 or a ported 346XP against a bog 550XP! Certainly not interested in point scoring - I am sure we all know our strengths and limits!