Is it illegal to use a chainsaw on someone else's land without doing cs30/31

Ted_165

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes a very good find. I think it is just what is sensible. Tickets show a certain amount of responsibility. As for employing someone without tickets and showing them how to do the job people that do things like that deserve everything they get. I would never dream of letting anyone without certification loose with one of mine just in case it comes back and bites me as I was the one to lend the saw. Check me out all opinionated:lol::lol:. I would not say that all I have ever done is by the book but I just think that common sense should prevail especially where employees and other people can be at risk.

Wow what a long thread. how are we all doing, and i guess the tree is long chopped up now, but id like to give you a little perspective from the other side. i changed jobs recently to get experience working within an enforcement department, managing health and safety (boo his i duck to miss the rotting tomatoes...) but it is a fixed term post so i will be returning to pure arb soon. ive worked as a LA worker, tree officer, contractor, consultant teacher and trainer. and now saftey so here goes ill give you the 911

the law, at this point, affects self employed and employees and employers.

the law requires you are insured if employing, you and/or staff are competent, have safe systems & equipment, communicate, control and provide ppe. that is about 300 regs squashed in to one. if you are investigated because you get a spot check or something goes wrong it is these principlas that will be looked at, BUT there are rules etc that govern what sort of action is taken, so eg a self employed person is a lot less likly to find them sleves in court they may still get there but unlikly.

the thing with 'tickets' and recognised training is they show your ability at a point and make it easier to prove you are doing the above things, and also you understand your obligations.

you do not have to have say NPTC tickets but they are the market leader for a reason, you just have to prove competence, but if you think an nptc ticket is costly, try paying a barrister to argue your point in court that you are competent.

so the answer to your question is, if you are happy you are competent, and you advise the land owner (as that are in the firing line too if it goes wrong) then go ahead and do it, but you still have to discharge your duties at law to not harme people etc.

but id recomend you do some formal training im sure you would learn from it .

there you go

cheers all

kev

Wow what a long thread. how are we all doing, and i guess the tree is long chopped up now, but id like to give you a little perspective from the other side. i changed jobs recently to get experience working within an enforcement department, managing health and safety (boo his i duck to miss the rotting tomatoes...) but it is a fixed term post so i will be returning to pure arb soon. ive worked as a LA worker, tree officer, contractor, consultant teacher and trainer. and now saftey so here goes ill give you the 911

the law, at this point, affects self employed and employees and employers.

the law requires you are insured if employing, you and/or staff are competent, have safe systems & equipment, communicate, control and provide ppe. that is about 300 regs squashed in to one. if you are investigated because you get a spot check or something goes wrong it is these principlas that will be looked at, BUT there are rules etc that govern what sort of action is taken, so eg a self employed person is a lot less likly to find them sleves in court they may still get there but unlikly.

the thing with 'tickets' and recognised training is they show your ability at a point and make it easier to prove you are doing the above things, and also you understand your obligations.

you do not have to have say NPTC tickets but they are the market leader for a reason, you just have to prove competence, but if you think an nptc ticket is costly, try paying a barrister to argue your point in court that you are competent.

so the answer to your question is, if you are happy you are competent, and you advise the land owner (as that are in the firing line too if it goes wrong) then go ahead and do it, but you still have to discharge your duties at law to not harme people etc.

but id recomend you do some formal training im sure you would learn from it .

there you go

cheers all

kev

Is that a 'NO' or a 'YES' then....? :001_huh::lol: