Where to buy flatbed hiab trailers

Ted_165

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its less than a year old, i bought it second hand with little or no use, it is still probably covered under a manufacturers warranty but they would only replace the legs with the flimsy original design. I would rather do it myself and know it wont fall to bits after. There are ramps to get the boxer up on the back of the flatbed but i really dont want to risk that either!!!!!

Open Forums are a great thing :001_smile: when they contain the truth so I have been reading this thread with interest. As David Shephard of Theocus Arboriculture wishes to pass inaccurate :sneaky2: comments about Riko and our products I thought it only reasonable that I respond so Arbtalk viewers can make an informed decision as to the accuracy of his comments! Read on if you wish:

There are many HAPPY owners of our Balfor Log splitters and dozens of the particular 12 ton model DS owns. The strange thing is that his is the only one that has suffered the problems he claims. It was originally supplied November 2009, in October 2010 DS claimed the welds on the splitter foot / table had failed. Without question or charge we supplied a new frame. It was also suggested that the heavier duty 16/18 ton model would perhaps better suit his type of work. He was offered an 18 ton at a price DS referred to as ‘a great price’ and promptly verbally ordered one. :thumbup: It then changed to an enquiry for a 30 ton machine.:confused1: It was all then put on hold as ‘assessing funds’ as DS put it. Strangely a month later DS said cracks were appearing in the 12 ton machine. Then 1 year after the new frame was supplied the ram pushed through the frame. Taking into consideration the verbal order for an 18 ton splitter & enquiry for a 30 ton splitter I will let people draw their own conclusions about relief valves being fiddled with!

Despite this the 12 ton machine was inspected by Riko and even sent back to the factory for analysis. It was blatantly obvious that the relief valve had been tampered with as the sealing paint had cracked. Of course this was denied by DS who claimed it had come off during pressure washing. Despite the obvious cause Riko offered a loan machine and to repair the machine once again free of charge, alternately a refund of 75% 75% of the purchase price from 2 years ago against a heavier duty 16 ton model at a heavily discounted figure, or a straight forward 75% refund. Under the circumstance I belive this to have been more than reasonable. DS chose to have the splitter repaired and to strengthen it himself.

In November 2011 DS then bought a second hand Riko Fast Tow trailer and crane. Needless to say this apparently has design faults as the legs bent when lifting full capacity at full reach. In seven years of building the fast Tow trailer only one customer has ever bent a leg and this was caused by putting the leg down whilst pointing down a slope and failing to apply the hand brake. The Riko Fast Tow is not a full blown forestry trailer however it is a multipurpose self loading trailer for use on the highway but with the ability to work off road when used appropriately. To maximize the carrying capacity it has an un-laden weight of 1250-1850Kg depending on crane and body specification. The choice of crane / reach fitted depends on the application and the trailer body is built to the customer’s requirement. IE, if the customer specifies they will be moving large heavy timber the bolsters are made narrower to maximize strength. Obviously when purchasing a second hand unit there may be a mismatch! A trained crane / forwarded operator also knows that it is recommended practice not to lift to full capacity at full reach but rather to use the crane to bring the timber towards the trailer and carry out the main lift alongside the trailer. I wonder if DS or his staff have certificates or have even received any training in using a crane.

Riko UK has been in business for 24 years and as I am sure is the case with Theocus Arboriculture, we have many happy customers, and of course a few unhappy ones. Riko always listens to customer feedback, and when it is presented in a reasonable and accurate way we even take it on board. Perhaps the only difference is after 25 years I know that throwing your toys out of the pram and blaming everyone else rarely gets you anywhere!

I will not enter any further comments on this thread, however if anyone would like accurate information about our fast tow trailer or if ‘Theocus’ wishes to contact me directly to discuss the matter in a more appropriate manner the best email is: [email protected]

Stephen Cabrol. Riko UK Ltd

Thanks for putting your side of the story across, obviously none of us would like our products or work criticised on a public forum. I hope both parties in this case can resolve this amicably via email or phone, we don't wish to see this descend into a public slanging match, no good for either party concerned.

Thanks for putting your side of the story across, obviously none of us would like our products or work criticised on a public forum. I hope both parties in this case can resolve this amicably via email or phone, we don't wish to see this descend into a public slanging match, no good for either party concerned.

Well said. Always good to hear constructive comments that's why we're all here, maybe emotions get involved when we've spent large amounts of money and are disappointed with certain aspects of the machinery.

I'm in the same position right now with some products with "issues" shall we say but i am pleased with the suppliers genuine interest in sorting them out - that's all i can ask from a supplier. I agree with a previous comment on the quality of steel these days, there is alot of crap steel out there at the moment. All the best to you both.

Edited by marlon
grammer

He does take things a little personally! I whole heartedly recomend Riko kit and even believe i have created some sales for them, Jim is a great guy to deal with at Riko, I dont do so called slagging or cheap online personal jabs, and I even need to order some parts in the near future, Its a little silly to post all of that when there is no need, i dont intend to go to details.

If equipment is great we praise it, recomend it and enjoy using it. The internet is an open database of knowledge and searchable items. I search on Arbtalk for information on large equipment, fungi and for the social side of it. Hence the title of this thread!!

I will continue to post constructive comments about equipment and any tips to assist others, as Marlon mentions he too is having issues with kit, it happens!

• 2 weeks later...

Give John Wilson a ring and try to persuade him to make his again.

I had one for nearly three years and it was faultless apart from me wrecking the pump trying to use it in -8c when the oil had frozen.

A guy in Manchester bought it for delivering firewood and to my knowledge it does exactly what he wants.

Not exactly sure on the lift but I imagine 400+kg. There was pretty much a subchassis built around the front of the existing chassis so stress and flexing of the trailer itself was non existant.

Also really handy for getting the back wheels of the truck off the floor and backfilling the holes when you got it stuck.

Also, never broke a bolster and I regularly knocked them with as heavier lumps as the crane would lift. The only thing that used to dent was the ifor williams dropside panels.

have a look at Rabaud splitters, they are built like battle ships, ive got the 16 tonne farmer II with the chain winch. it splits anything and the winch lifts logs upto 1.1m long straight into place. we can supply the whole range of Rabaud equipment and have 2 demo machines on site.