Ladder levelling systems

Pete Tattam

I work from a ladder quite a lot. Has anyone used any of the ladder levelling systems around? I've thought about Ladder Mat, which is nice and cheap but does it work? Also there is a system with a curved bar that fits to the bottom of the ladder and slides from side to side to adapt to uneven ground. More expensive but looks more "butch".

I still would have the ladder footed but its such a pain trying to find a level peice of ground when there aint one!

What sort of height ladder do you use? It's just that some of the stabilisers for longer ladders cost a fortune on their own. If I were being unpaid groundie for my son, then I'd suggest he buy a tripod ladder for the business (business expense will reduce his tax payment!) and then borrow it when needed :)

Some of the universal stabilisers legs at www.ladderstore.com look pretty decent for the money, but they not much cop on slopy ground as the base of the ladder doesn't sit straight. Their levelling safety bas is £60(odd), which is a big chunk toward a tripod ladder.....

Edited by Pedroski

If I were being unpaid groundie for my son, then I'd suggest he buy a tripod ladder for the business (business expense will reduce his tax payment!) and then borrow it when needed :)

Oh if only! The reason I'm an unpaid groundie is because work is so sparse he can't afford to pay, so capital investment on a tripod ladder at this time is out of the question. I do it because I enjoy it and he's my son! Is there any better reason?

I agree some of the systems are a bit pricey which is why I liked the look of the ladder mat but it needs to be effective.

i have a lader that is all built in with stable bar what a lader you can use it on unlevel ground up steps there grate [ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hailo-Aluminium-Combi-Ladders-Rungs/dp/B0001GQHYQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1328982305&sr=8-2]Hailo Aluminium Combi Ladders - 2 x 9 + 1 x 8 Rungs: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools[/ame]

I work from a ladder quite a lot. Has anyone used any of the ladder levelling systems around? I've thought about Ladder Mat, which is nice and cheap but does it work? Also there is a system with a curved bar that fits to the bottom of the ladder and slides from side to side to adapt to uneven ground. More expensive but looks more "butch".

I still would have the ladder footed but its such a pain trying to find a level peice of ground when there aint one!

Pete, for similar purposes to you I guess (hedges) I use ladders with both Ankalad telescopic legs, the same as Steve B's, and a Titan Base Mate | Ladder Accessories - Buy online from HobUK

The Basemate isn't quite as free moving as in the promo but it does the job.

Jon