Pricing help needed!

Oli Explosion

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are 2 schools of thought out here Oli, one is that you should be supersafe and get someone experienced to do it for you.

The other is that we all had to start somewhere and although this is a dangerous industry, you know your limits and the only way to really learn is to get some real experience under your belt.

Watching people who make it look easy and fairying about on easy pruning jobs will only teach you so much. The best way to learn is by doing, just use everything you have learned already, most important of which is that you know you don't know it all, and plan, plan, plan.... then just take your time.

The best thing to do is have a plan for if everything goes wrong.

What will happen in these scenarios?

1. You get hit by a limb and are knocked unconscious or badly injured, stuck up the tree?

2. You start to drop a limb and it's heading the wrong way toward the road and there is an open topped bus full of orphans coming the other way?

Those are the 2 most dangerous things which could happen, taking out the phonelines, boohoo, so someone has to use their mobile for a while, dropping it on a garden shed, it happens, concern yourself with imagining the most unlikely risks to human life and make sure you have a watertight plan to deal with them, even if it's just as simple as someone to stop the traffic while another gets help.

Go for it, get a job under your belt, make some money, get some real experience and start to build your business. Calculated risk.

Simon, I'm with you on this. My only concern is that the fella needs to make sure his emergency plan really is watertight, and that his mate who helps him really can work under pressure if necessary and get him down if he does get knocked out or injured as there's no telling how long it'll take emergency services to get there.

Also, he needs to think about a few things.... like taking a first aid kit up the tree, just in case. Buxtons have good a good offer - buy one, get one free on first aid kits. I got the £11.50 ones that come with the Traumafix stuff. Dead good that. I've got one, and my daughter has one for Combined Cadet Force.

If it were me, I'd be up there with a big Silky instead of a chainsaw, and would be nibbling away at it bit by bit.

Silky might be a good idea Pete, at least to reduce the limbs to a handy size. I do a lot of tidying up with the Silky usually anyway, I actually quite enjoy it!

And good point ref first aid kit, I got that Buxtons email, meant to get one of them, the Dragon kit wasn't it...?

2 men 14 days at £400??

Well Im not a tree surgeon I only come on here to pretend.

You should hear what I get up to on the base jumping forums!!!:thumbup:

In general that job would take from a mornings work to a full day depending on the team/s.

But that doesnt really matter to the OP tbh, he said it will take 2 days for him so he 'should' know how much it will cost.

Thats the key to pricing knowing how long it will take you and your equipment to do a job and price it accordingly. Well for me it is anyway, I know some say they price the job according to what their competitors would price it at which is a better idea and I can see the logic in it, its just that its something I couldn't do so I dont try.

Hope you win the job and carry it out with out any problems.:thumbup1:

Anyone who says you need to have a climber to access if those tress are climbable is having a laugh as much as the lads saying it will take 3 weeks. Stick a price on it, make it cheap get the job and do your best. I know flow are gonna say you can't access from pics... But if they are still up after the weather we have had they are sound.

Worst case scenario... You hit the telephone lines. They aren't electric and won't hurt you, deny all knowledge and the phone company will end up repairing them for nothing.

Bit of an stupid reply that mate, if every tree man/firm had that attitude there would be no wires left up, if a climber can't do a job without hitting wires the they ain't worth using:)