Sugar in fuel Tanks!!!

davetaz

No employees, just me.

My yard is on a field 500 yards up a track (with two locked gates) behind remote farm with cctv coverage all over the farm as buildings rented out to various other small businesses. Get on fine with everyone on site.

Machines locked away in container from now on, will have to look in to lockable caps or making cages to fit over engines, and some kind of remote cctv set-up

Either it was pure mindless vandalism or some body has really gone out of their way to cause problems!

As far as competitors go I buy timber off afew local tree surgeons and off the local estate and have never had any cause to think I may have upset anybody

Oh well one of life's little mysteries..............

Thanks for all the replies guys, hopefully no damage caused any way

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hahaha, like that one:lol:

BTW, just tested some sugar in a jar with petrol, it definately does not dissolve, does not even improve the taste.

Ruined my taste buds for today though:thumbdown:

Bad day m8 - Sally Ann with be around with some tea for you later:001_tt2:

Is it stupid to ask if it could have been anything apart from sugar? As in something crystallised out in the frozen temps from contaminated fuel cans or garage tank washings etc? There are other things that taste sweet..

According to web searches less than 1 teaspoon sugar dissolves in 15US gallons petrol and filters should deal with any 'sludge' so the engine remains protected.

Theoretically all you would need to do to correct the issue is syphon/fill the tank with water a few times to dissolve out the sugar and then rinse with fresh petrol +/- a filter change.

When i had my pilot's licence it was routine to check the tanks for condensed water as part of the pre-flight..suprising how much forms in there if the plane is left with empty wings for any length of time but I never saw ice crystals as such.

yrs ago we had an old Cortina, drained the tank out and was shocked by how much water was in the fuel about 1/3 by vol.

Flying. Wife's a nurse, guy came in looking a bit rough, he explained how he had fueled up him Microlite ready for the next day, but unknown to him his wife couldn't find any petrol for her lawnmower so had syphoned petrol out of his Microlite :001_huh:

I used to work for a very nasty old guy,who ran a plant hire firm,he always carried mars bars in his pocket,watched him one day in a quarry were a rival firm was working,drop 2 bars in derv tank,of there machine!!,2 days later one volvo bm loading shovel ,with a very knackerd engine,!!