TPO law of the Dead....wood

Jontreasure

Well....slow at the mo, was hectic but the downturn in building has meant that the reports and surveys for B.S 5837 have slowed down. Have enjoyed it and contribute alot to bat inspections, through climbing, yet i'm hungry for more...the problem is we do veterans but not enough, no climbing, unless client states, to collect hard evidence and not enough general structural integrity tests. I want to push it but for such a big company its hard to get heard....

Hows u?

Hambleton Council took a contractor to court a few years back for working on a TPO tree removing deadwood. He was convicted and so was the client.

:mad1:

I've seen a hell of a lot worse than a bit of dead wooding done to TPO trees and nothing has ever came of it.

Theres no way anyone should be prosecuted for dead wooding a tree if its for HSE reasons.

Hambleton Council took a contractor to court a few years back for working on a TPO tree removing deadwood. He was convicted and so was the client.

I find this difficult to understand?

You can only be prosecuted for "damaging" a TPO'd tree, so he would have to have cut living tissue, surly?

• 2 years later...
So theres a dead branch hanging over a public path. A target prune to give the tree chance to heal up would involve cutting a live part of the limb. Have I 'damaged' the tree?

I'm not sure the dead dying dangerous exemption would work as it seemed to, with the introduction of the new BS 3998 2010. However, a dead branch is not necessarily a hazard for one thing. Another, is that in removing a dead branch with a target pruning cut, you shouldn't be cutting live wood anyway!